Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts - View Single Post - Aftermarket Stereo for 2008 Cobalt - Wiring Harness Fiasco
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Griswold90
Prospect

Garage
Aftermarket Stereo for 2008 Cobalt - Wiring Harness Fiasco

I am attempting to install an aftermarket stereo in my girlfriend's 2008 Chevy Cobalt LT and I could really use some advice. Here is a bit of background:

Over the past year, the front speakers have started intermittently distorting at low volume. These are NOT the factory speakers; I installed aftermarket SONY speakers about 2 years ago. Due to the intermittent issues and the low-volume distortion (speakers have not been abused at all), I believe the culprit is a bad head unit. I bit the bullet and bought a nice Alpine CDE-W265BT double-din stereo along with the wiring harnesses.

I have installed some older car stereos in my day, but none that required special harnesses for door chimes and turn signals, and certainly none that required a separate converter harness to keep the steering wheel controls.

The guy at the audio store sold me a PAC LCGM29 wiring harness and assured me that it would keep the door chimes and turn signals. He also sold me a PAC SWI-RC harness for integrating the steering wheel controls.

I have everything laid out now, but I am confused about how to interface the multiple wiring harnesses. Does anyone have experience with this type of setup? I very much appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome