Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windshield Wiper Motor

28K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  bigtim13 
#1 ·
I was driving one day when it was raining and the wipers just stopped,
I was wondering what It could be?
Maybe the motor.. But where is that located and how do I get to it?
Taking a trip to WV in 3 days and can't be without wipers

#2 ·
Did you check the fuse?

#3 ·
Yes I did, wasn't blown

#4 ·
Check ground under coolant reservoir for corrosion or broken wire.

#5 ·
Got any pics? I love you coby no ****

#6 · (Edited)
Of course, now you like my pictures.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

You can see mine is turning green and will need a cleaning soon.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Wait now maybe it's the one on the strut tower can't remember for sure so check both.

#7 ·
I've never hated on your pictures!!
What's the next step it it's not he problem?

#8 ·
Many steps, wiper switch, BCM, Wiper motor......Step by step.

#9 ·
:S
If it's not the ground contacts..
I'm going to let chevy worry about it.
Thanks a bunch coby

#10 ·
Hey Coby7,
i checked the grounds and there is no rust or grime whatsoever.

When I turn the wipers on, I hear the motor which sounds like it is whirling,
any other idea's?
One of my wipers moves freely, and the other i really have to pull.
Could the motor be blown and it still whirling?

#11 ·
nut on linkage may be loose

If the windshield wipers don't move but you can hear the motor running, it may be the nut on the linkage is loose. I believe this is by design to keep the motor from burning up or the linkage from breaking. Unfortunately, this nut is a bear to get to. Open the hood, remove the plastic cowling up by the wipers. If you have small hands you can reach in and feel the nut that attaches the short link from the end of the motor to the windshield linkage. See if it is loose, if so this is the problem. It also may have fallen off but hopefully is still in the cavity. So, turn the windshield wipers on and then off to make sure you are in the parked position, by hand move the wipers to the parked position. Now we will tighten the nut. You will need a 14mm wrench ( I used a 1/2" and it worked ). Luckily, I had a nice Craftsman ratcheting flat wrench. Very difficult to get it in there but it is possible. Tighten the nut, I believe it just holds the linkages together with friction (maybe a couple dimples ). I would not loctite since this is the weak link, meant to loosen when the wipers are frozen to the windshield. Hope this helps, I have done it twice, really is a bad design. My Toyota just does a similar thing but on the wiper so tightening it is simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.