Can You Tell Me if My Sub is Burnt ?? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Forum Regular

Can You Tell Me if My Sub is Burnt ??

i bought two t112d2 rockford fosgate subs ($350 each brand new) for sum jordans which are worth like 100...so really good deal.

well anyways, one of the subs sounds good but when you get it turned up it sounds bad, if you push down on the top it is smooth sometimes and crunchy in some spots which usualy means burnt voice coil.

the other sub is 90% crunchy when i push down on the top and when i play it at 2 ohm it sounds awfull so i know something is wrong with it.

does this sound like a burnt voice coil ? Can I fix it ?

if not can someone please tell me if they ever had this problem and what to do and if i send it to get refurbrished how much will it cost ?

I really like these subs since i got them so cheap so if it is worth it to get fixed i would love to take that option rather then getting 100 bucks for them and being stuck with my gay kenwood 400 W RMS sub lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
it might be really pricey to get a new cone and voice coil or there might be some dirt in them or something like that, do they smell burnt when you turn them up?
06 vic red ls, tsudo cat. k&n intake. Eclipse cd3100 w/ipod, Kenwood/infinity speakers w/ infinity 7540a amp, 2 10" polk db 1040 subs w/ rockford fosgate p300-2, lnf springs, 4th Gen Depot Projectors w/ raptor 6000k hid kit.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Forum Regular

no i havnt smelled any thing but on the better sub i turned it up to about 55%on the bass boost controll and thats when it started sounding a little bad. on the worse sub i turned it up to about 8% untill it started sounding awfull. i didnt turn it up any more cuz i dont wana make them worse.

i really dont wana send them in but it is my last resort. is there any way i can look inside the sub to try to clean it out or fix it without having to take off the cone or breaking any thing else ? i know that taking off the cone is the main way to get inside but at the bootom of the sub there are sum screws that i could unscrew but i dont wana break anything....
Old 05-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
the only way you can see inside is if you take the spider out and the cone as well as the rubber surround but i wouldn't recommend it unless you know someone who has done it before and you may need a new voice coil kit, how old are the subs bc rockford has a pretty good warranty on their products.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...en_US&p_status
warranty info.
06 vic red ls, tsudo cat. k&n intake. Eclipse cd3100 w/ipod, Kenwood/infinity speakers w/ infinity 7540a amp, 2 10" polk db 1040 subs w/ rockford fosgate p300-2, lnf springs, 4th Gen Depot Projectors w/ raptor 6000k hid kit.

Last edited by 06'L61'Balt; 05-21-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
sounds like you know your stuff but what size amp you usin? this was my buddies problem in his civic. and he also had problems cause his amp was only puttin out at half power for some reason.
^^clicky^^-KKK K24 TDI turbo (small but no boost lag, and also great for the engine size, lots of power), 42lb injectors, jdm sport intercooler, and plenty of fun treats!!! click the photo to see the garage ask away!!! Also please check out my website i just made for my photography please... let me know what ya think!!! austinreidphotography.weebly.com thank you!-
-I work at Discount Tire Co.-
Old 05-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Forum Regular

^^ yah my amp is underpowered by 100 Watts RMS...i wouldnt say ima complete begginer, i have a little knowledge under my belt but in this case im clueless...lol

the sub is under powered.

i have two subs, one can bump but when i turn it up load the sound gets weird. i found out today that that is most liklly becuz of the box so ima get that fixed asap...it needs to be bigger.

the other sub, which i have not tested in a box. i tested it just in the trunk box less which can make a difference. but when i play it and turn it up just a little bit it sounds awfull. i mean at this point there is no base at all. just weird noise...

i think the problem with that may be the wiring. amp. box. hell it may even just be dirty but i hope that it is not the voice coil.

this dude at a audio shop said that the voice coil is un- ravveled or something but he only said that from what he heard from it and from what i said which means hopefully he is wrong lol

can anyone tell me what to do to test what is my problem ??

i hear that it can be all this crazy stuff over the internet like maybe the amp, radio, wire connection, box, ect ect ect....

!!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 05:11 AM
Newcomer

chances are its toast man, does it crackle when the bass hits?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Forum God

hmm... what the hell 'd you do to them man? Did they act like this when you first installed them, or did they work for awhile and then start doing this? for crackling, I had a crappy amp in my first setup and it fried like the day after I installed the system, and I got some crackle, subs wouldn't work hardly ever though. For the subs, they're in a box...unscrew the screws surrounding the subs and take the whole sub outta the box and check behind it. Smell it to see if it's burnt smell. If you blow a sub you'll know, if you just wrecked a component then it's a bit harder to tell but i'm sure you'll see something in back of the sub that indicates a f*cked up sub. I would bring it somewhere (if you got it installed somewhere take it there) and have them check the power going to and coming out of the amp to see if it's not the amp. If not, then have them check the subs. They can do this fairl quickly and if you had it installed there, they should do it free. Good luck, let us know what it is when you find out.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Veteran

Garage
get you jordans back and buy from some place with guarantee
Old 05-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Forum Regular

ostion- hell no, even for one sub it is a wonderfull deal...170 dollar shoes brand new for 2 subs that are 350 brand new ??? and even if broke it still worth a little.

slink454ss- i guess u can describe the sound as a crackle but i would say crunch

bboyy- well they were like this when i got them like 2 weeks ago used. the previous owner acts like im crazy and he says they both worked fine. if i sub works and one dosnt then that means something is up with wat he sold me, not my amp/ wiring/ or box.

the box that i am currently making in wood tech at my school is the perfect dimensions for what is recommended at the rockford fosgate website. my previous box was from walmart and the volume isnt even enough for my 400W rms kenwood w3012 sub

--oh yah bboy, if you remember back in winter when i got my system, this isnt it, this is my upgrade to that one and thesse are stronger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread