Amp and Sub Hookup in '05 Cobalt - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Audio/Video Talk about Chevy Cobalt Audio/Video and other mobile electronics here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Amp and Sub Hookup in '05 Cobalt

So I have been looking all over and cannot find the information I am looking for so I thought I would post a new thread. My cobalt is a 2005 base model 4 door. About a year and a half ago, I put in a new Pioneer head unit. I used the PAC interface to keep the retained accessory power (RAP) so the radio would operate just like the factory unit did. I am interested in adding an amplifier for the speakers and a subwoofer but I would also like to keep the RAP so that the radio stays on for the 10 minute time period or until I open the door. Can someone point me in the right direction of the things I would need to purchase as well as how to hook up all the components? I can't imagine it being difficult but I am having trouble thinking of everything. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:49 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Since you have the harness that maintains RAP, the new head unit would keep the speaker/sub amps powered on as long as it has power.

Depending on what head unit you have and how many RCA hookups outputs it has will determine what you can amplify.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Cold Air Intake, Dual MTX 12" Thunder6000 Subs, Pioneer Speakers, Camaro Front Seats
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - Project Car
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 06:00 AM
Staff Alumni

Basically put your amps in the trunk, run a remote wire back from the deck. Then run two pairs of rcas back. One will be for your sub amp and one for your speaker amp. Your deck should have speaker preouts and sub preouts. Now run new wire to all your speakers.

DON'T remove the black plastic door inserts on the front speakers. Instead modify them to work or you'll get water on your floor anytime you parking facing downhill and it rains.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thank you for the replies. I think I have everything figured out now so we'll see if it all work when I get the new equipment installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
amp , head unit , radio , subwoofer , subwoofer audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode