Oil Type - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 08:57 PM
jim2029

Oil Type

I just got my car 2 weeks ago. Its a 2005 base sedan 2.2 with about 52,000 miles on it. What type of oil did it come with from the factory? Conventional or Synthetic? I was wondering cause I bought 5 quarts of Castrol GTX Conventional oil and then it hit me that it may take Synthetic....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Contributor

Garage
Send a message via AIM to youthminguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2029 View Post
I just got my car 2 weeks ago. Its a 2005 base sedan 2.2 with about 52,000 miles on it. What type of oil did it come with from the factory? Conventional or Synthetic? I was wondering cause I bought 5 quarts of Castrol GTX Conventional oil and then it hit me that it may take Synthetic....
if its anything like the '08 LT it just takes conventional. i'm assuming it is. i got the 2.2 also and i just use the conventional so you should be fine.

'08 coupe special edition, blue bowties, red streetglow footwell LED's, red razo race pedals, custom build SRI, pioneer avh-p3100dvd headunit, shorty antenna, Kicker 07DS600 speakers, cobalt 3rd brake light decal
Old 06-28-2009, 12:39 AM
Cobalt Master

It takes Conventional from the factory, only models that came from the factory with Synthetic are the 2005-2007 SS/SC and the 2008-2010 SS/TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakdOut07LT View Post
ill be the DRUNKEST mofo there btw can someone keep an eye on my kid while i go get another beer?
How to post pics:
http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/ins...tml#post169806
Old 06-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Contributor

yea it came with conventional, but synthetic wont hurt it one bit. mobile one will guarantee your engine to 300k miles if you use their synthetic oil
Old 06-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Veteran

There's a special going on for a little while at O'Reilly for Purple Royal (5 quarts) and a K&N oil filter for $39.99...limit 2 per customer. I'm going to pick this up for my initial switch to synthetic. See how it runs. May stick with it afterwords. Won't be getting K&N filters after this though...$11 each. I'll stick to PureOne filters.

If I don't seem to think the car loves it, then I'll go back to Mobil1 like I had in my Saturn.
|07' LS Sedan|Ultra Silver|Auto|MTX X Thunderlink|Debadged|35% Tint|Sportlines|Injen CAI|ARK Antenna|ARK STB| OTTP "Street" bar|Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position 205-60-15|Hawk PC pads|PowerSlot Slotted rotors|

Not installed yet: Pacesetter Header|Exhaust Depot DP|LSJ Cat-Back|Injen Hydroshield|MSR 045 18x8 Black w/ Red Pinstripe
Old 06-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Contributor

gotta love royal purple, on horsepower tv they took an ls1 camaro and changed the oil, trans fluid, and differential fluid, filled everything with royal purple fluids and bam, 9 horspower on the dyno
Old 06-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Veteran

It was more than 9 I think, but I'm sure it won't even be a 1hp gain in my car. I just want to try it since it's so cheap.

Update...I went to buy it today and they told me that the deal is only for filters that they have on hand. So I said forget it. Went to the other O'Reilly closer to my house and they said the same thing. They said they don't carry our filter in stores or the warehouse and would have to special order it. Won't give it to me with the deal. They substituted a Mobil1 oil filter though. They have those in the warehouse so it will be here in a couple days. I picked up the oil and a cheap filter. I'll just do my oil change tomorrow and use the cheap filter (MicroGard). I'll save the Mobil1 filter for the next oil change.

So it sucks that this deal really doesn't work for everyone. Oh well. I wouldn't buy a K&N oil filter in the future anyway...too expensive...Purolator PureOne filters work fine for me. And I have Mobil1 synthetic in the garage, so I'll probably use that from now on...it's much cheaper than the RP.
|07' LS Sedan|Ultra Silver|Auto|MTX X Thunderlink|Debadged|35% Tint|Sportlines|Injen CAI|ARK Antenna|ARK STB| OTTP "Street" bar|Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position 205-60-15|Hawk PC pads|PowerSlot Slotted rotors|

Not installed yet: Pacesetter Header|Exhaust Depot DP|LSJ Cat-Back|Injen Hydroshield|MSR 045 18x8 Black w/ Red Pinstripe
Old 06-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CobaltLS View Post
It was more than 9 I think, but I'm sure it won't even be a 1hp gain in my car. I just want to try it since it's so cheap.
you could be right there, but 9 was just sticking in my mind for some reason
Old 06-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Forum Regular

Pennzoil platinum over here. Mobil isnt really a full synthetic anymore, so I refuse to pay the same price for it as a full synthetic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread