Problems with "service airbag light" - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Newcomer

Exclamation Problems with "service airbag light"

I have a 2006. Recently my airbag light came on with the msg that i needed to "service the airbag". I would like to avoid the dealer. Is it a fix i can do on my own, maybe a blown fuse or something. I dont want to go poking around if i dont know that the exact problem is. What does this mean? Will i need to take it to a garage or can i fix this myself? Thank you for taking the time to read this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 10:46 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to lobalt
Air Bag Sensor Lights - Service Bulletin

My car did the same thing, took it to the dealer & they had to replace my passanger side air bag module... so i doubt its a do-it-urself fix, but idk exactly... could be something else on ur car...

Christy // 2008 HHR SS // instagram: cjay117
Old 08-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Veteran

I have that same problem right now. I don't know what the problem is either, but if it is the module I heard it is like $200-$300. I don't know if that is accurate.

Injen CAI/SRI Intake/2.25" Custom Catback Exhaust/Eibach Sportline Springs/17" Drag Concept Rim/ARK Shorty Antenna/Black Out Tail Lights, Side Markers, 3rd Break Light
2006 Black LS
Old 08-31-2009, 06:09 AM
Newcomer

I just got the " Service Airbag " message " yesterday. i only have 6 thousand miles on my car. How many miles do you guys have?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:01 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBag1973 View Post
I just got the " Service Airbag " message " yesterday. i only have 6 thousand miles on my car. How many miles do you guys have?
I have an 06 with 45,000. Take it back to the dealer and have it checked out. After you find out what it is can you post it up so others can have an idea to what the problem is?

Injen CAI/SRI Intake/2.25" Custom Catback Exhaust/Eibach Sportline Springs/17" Drag Concept Rim/ARK Shorty Antenna/Black Out Tail Lights, Side Markers, 3rd Break Light
2006 Black LS
Old 08-31-2009, 07:19 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to lobalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBag1973 View Post
mine is an 08, and i'm thinkin i only had about... shew, i'd say about 21xxx on it when the light came on, cant remember exactly. glad it was covered, lol

Christy // 2008 HHR SS // instagram: cjay117
Old 08-31-2009, 07:21 AM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
You can also have a reputable body shop replace the airbag modules, since they do it during collision repairs anyway. Might save you a few bucks that route, since you wont be paying dealer labor and parts markup.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by davkojr View Post
I have a 2006. Recently my airbag light came on with the msg that i needed to "service the airbag". I would like to avoid the dealer. Is it a fix i can do on my own, maybe a blown fuse or something. I dont want to go poking around if i dont know that the exact problem is. What does this mean? Will i need to take it to a garage or can i fix this myself? Thank you for taking the time to read this!
Don't be an idiot, take it to the dealership. There is a reason GM requires specialized training for us just to touch that stuff.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:09 PM
Newcomer

i say dont risk it, get Gm to fix it, i wouldnt trust the other guys if my girlfriends life depended on it.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:28 AM
Newcomer

My wife's 07 just went back to dealership today for the same thing. June 27th they had it and replaced the passenger module because the light was coming on while driving. Now 2 months later the light started coming back on again so we'll see what they say this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread