Replacement Keys - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Initiate

Replacement Keys

Do the Cobalt keys have the micro chip inside or does it depend on the model, etc? How can you tell if it has a chip or not? I was thinking the keys with a chip have a little + on the shaft, like my Malibu, but thats just my guess. Most hardware stores can do the regular keys pretty cheap, but the chipped models are a bit pricey. We do have a mobile locksmith in this area that does them for about $30 if I remember correctly, which isnt bad, but the non chip key was $5 I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Contributor

Garage
I believe the chip is in the key fob. At least with my car. The alarm sounds if I unlock the car with the keys but don't have the fob on me.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Contributor

im pretty sure they all do but if you get 1 made u can unlock the doors but you cant start the car with it
Old 05-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
The way to check if your key has a chip inside is to look at the base of the key. If you see a small '+' that means you have a chip.

The alarm will go off if you lock your doors with your remote and then you unlock it with your key regardless if it has a chip in it or not. Try locking your doors manually then using your key. alarm shouldn't go off.

The only thing the chip does is allow you to start the car. If you get new keys made w/o a chip you can still use them to unlock doors etc.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Veteran

Garage
my car has no alarm or anything manual locks and windows and i have a + on my key idk why its 60$ just for another key so i just got one key if im locked out im S.O.L i guess.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:38 AM
Initiate

I thought the + meant it was a chip. My Malibu has the + but my Cobalt and Equinox do not. I know a replacement Equinox key was cheap because it didn't have the chip.

Thanks guys I appreciate the info!
Old 05-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
No '+' should mean no chip. And Like I said, the chip has nothing to do with the alarm, it's like an ignition lock. No chip means that even with the right key your car will not turn on.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Contributor

all my keys have the '+' and they both get the car to turn over just fine,mine originally had the keyless entrey but the previous owner must have lost or broke it before they gave it to the dealership. because all the dealership had to give me was a spare key that worked fine and then we had to buy another key so i culd have a spare and well now i have to get another because my mom had lost it somehow because she wanted the spare,lol
Old 05-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Get Out The Sawzall
Staff AlumniCobalt Master

Garage
The keys with the + or circle + means the Key "has" a transponder chip inside.

I saw in another post you bought a 2005 Cobalt, Some models in 05 had a chipped transponder key which worked with the "passkey system". Some models came with the "passlock systems" which did not have a transponder key. You may just be able to go get a couple dollar blank key cut.

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Every Cobalt 06 and up have a transponder key and passkey system. 05 was the only years where there was a difference in production.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Cobalt Master

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bbrewbaker
Mine has the + on it and has a chip.
I got a plain key made at a local lock smith for like $3 to keep in my wallet.
Just for the doors if i lock the keys in the car.

Car Pics
My Showoff Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread