Onstar FMV and LT Cobalt - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 08:28 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Onstar FMV and LT Cobalt

So just a random question,now that onstar has FMV in theory couldn't a person take an LT Cobalt that didn't come with OnStar,get a used rearview mirror that had onstar and integrate the two? it seems doable?
--
2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 Coupe LT
Black
Too many mods to list..
Check out my Showoff thread!: http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...cobalt-lt.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Expert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by climertech View Post
So just a random question,now that onstar has FMV in theory couldn't a person take an LT Cobalt that didn't come with OnStar,get a used rearview mirror that had onstar and integrate the two? it seems doable?
there should be a computer unit hidden under the dash somewhere that integrates with the car and senses things like crashes, airbag deployment, triggers lock and unlock etc. Its a lot more complicated than just getting power to a button on the mirror.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:28 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Well, I know that OnStar is bringing out a mirror that supposedly can be hooked up to any car (including non-chevrolet products). I don't know if they released their product yet or not. That may be an option. Just replacing the rear-view mirror and getting power to a Onstar mirror won't be as easy as stated above.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:24 AM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

They have that's Onstar FMV so i was wondering if for the button you could just use a mirror that had the button
--
2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 Coupe LT
Black
Too many mods to list..
Check out my Showoff thread!: http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...cobalt-lt.html
Old 09-23-2011, 08:11 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerExpert

you dont want onstar anymore. theyre selling their users info such as location, speed, and so on to third parties such as police and what not
Old 09-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Forum Regular

The aftermarket Onstar or "OnStar FMV" is a fully self enclosed unit. You can't just take an old used mirror and power it because they are totally different. The new aftermarket mirror does not directly link with your car. It can tell if you have a crash because it has built in G-force sensors. It's not the same as linking to your car to see if the airbag has been deployed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread