How Well Do Cobalts Drive in the Snow? - Page 6 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07G5 View Post
Well that's not fun :(

You may be able to buff out the scuff marks, and I've seen the foglight bezels on eBay for under $100. May leave a little blemish. Glad it wasn't too bad for you though.
Thanks dude, will check that out for sure. Would it be something I have to take in to the shop to get put in though, do you know?

I am glad damage wasn't worse too. Abdomen just hurts a little cause of surgery last year, but it's probably just too much stress.

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbalts View Post
Thats lucky for what it could have looked like!
I looked into snow tires and it's really not worth it since I do a lot of highway driving. Unless you are always in snow the tires wear quick because they are so soft.

I would consider an STI if I didnt have an evo tat! Both amazing cars, a bit off topic but anyone see the top gear episode with the evo? AMAZING!!
They are softer? Hmm. Yeah Washington doesn't usually get much snow, so next year will just invest in some good All Seasons, don't even know what shape my tires are in, or what brand. Probably should have checked.

Get what you like, who cares! I can't argue, cause I have never driven an EVO, but I fell in love with the Subies when I was 10 and Subaru just has a great line of dependable vehicles. And that boxer rumble makes bad days better : )

2005 LS Sedan - 5 spd manual
Injen CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Newcomer

I've heard they are kinda a bitch to change, but can be done yourself.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Yea snow isn't fun but not that bad...it's the Ice that sucks but that's every car...I was comin around a curve n slid on sum ice n almost hit a charger coming the opposite direction

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 01-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Forum Regular

Yeah, I'm not overly impressed with how the Cobalts handle in the snow. It seemed like I was able to drive my RWD 84 Toyota Van much faster without losing control. With the Cobalt, I can't go more than 15 MPH without it sliding all over the place. Yes, I do have traction control and ABS, but none of that will do any good when it comes to keeping your car in a straight line. I did create a 30 minute video of me driving over the mountain on my way to my parents' house. Needless to say, my Mom wanted to beat my ass for even attempting this drive, and I'm almost 29 years old. My Dad did call me near the end of the video. I didn't get stuck when pulling in the driveway. My Cobalt seemed to plow right through it without getting stuck. I got brand new tires and I live in the Pacific NW. Should I get them siped?

Last edited by kcg795; 01-19-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Forum Regular

Funny that your old van does better than Cobalt. Got some balls making that trip with your car, our roads look like what they were about 4:30- 5 minutes into your video, little more slushy stuff but the mountain is no bueno. MUCH more dangerous. Especially when people in trucks like that like to speed past you.

Good luck on the trip back, maybe it will clear up a little.

2005 LS Sedan - 5 spd manual
Injen CAI
Old 01-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Newcomer

This was today. There wasn't much snow but it fell quick and had traffic backed up between 15-20 mph in 55 zones. I have General Altimax Arctic on the front and Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring (All-Season with <2,000 miles on them) on the back. Next season I'll get the other 2 winters on, but this set up is working well for me.

KCG what kind of tires do you have?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Forum Regular

I have the Granada Touring HP tires from Les Schwab. You can't find any info online about these tires, but they seem to do great for other weather conditions. The tires I had on the Van were just crappy $35 Wal-Mart Douglas tires. I went through 2 sets of those in no time. I had studs put on my Van and when I went to have the studs taken off and my Douglas tires put back on, Les Schwab refused to put them back on. Yeah, "they're garbage" they said.

I was at my parents' house for a couple days. Mom was glad I came since she was by herself and she doesn't know how to operate the generator since the power went out for 5 hours later that night. When it was time for me to head back, the roads were clear. Pacific NW weather is bipolar. It can change at anytime.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:29 AM
Forum Regular

always parked, mine 09ss is for sale

2009 SS Carbon Fiber Front lip, Hood, side skirt's and Wing, ARK Shorty, led tinted taillights, Retrofitted RS6 projector's, 3" Exhaust no resonator CIA stainless dp catted, USB HDD Mod
Old 01-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Newcomer

This was one of the concerns I had buying a Cobalt, but the previous owner told me he had little trouble in the snow with it. It's an 06 Cobalt.

I have a Sunfire and that thing plows through snow like nothing! I was out late at night during a huge snow storm, the roads were completely covered, and had to go down this steep, slippery snow covered highway hill to get home, and my Sunfire was one of the only cars not slipping and sliding! It plowed through like a tank., and I didn't even have snow tires, just regular tires. I cannot say enough good things about Sunfire, and I will probably be praising it every chance I get!!

I'm hoping the Cobalt is as good as my Sunfire was!
Old 01-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Proper tires do wonders in the snow, or any other traction situation for that matter. The only problem ive ever had is traction from a dead stop going uphill, but a couple throttle blips and its all good. Non studded snow tires is what i have btw.

Last edited by scagnetti76; 01-22-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread