Service Airbag? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Chevy Cobalt Owners Lounge General Chevy Cobalt discussion

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Forum Regular

Service Airbag?

So driving into a parking lot, turn a corner doing like 30 and then all of a sudden the car dings, and my airbag needs to be serviced? Everything is still plugged in, but the driverside airbag is lit up on my gauge display and the DIC says "Service Airbag".

It is under warranty to get fixed, but i have installed a aftermarket Stereo and Amps and subs, which they will say thats what at fault for the airbag.

So should I clear the code and say the hell with it?

Anybody go threw the same thing?
2.4L Manifold Swap
GMPP Extrude Honed Header
GMPP Performance Exhaust
DC Sports Strut Bar
18" CR Hype Rims
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Cobalt Master

Get it serviced, and if they blame it on the stereo, i can give them the invoiced number from my car's service. Had the same issue, just driving randomly, yet my passenger side airbag notification stayed off, and the "service airbag light" came on. Turned out to be a faulty ground in the system behind the passenger side rear pillar(right behind the door). Fixed the ground, and it was fine.

The stereo has absolutely nothing to do with the airbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakdOut07LT View Post
ill be the DRUNKEST mofo there btw can someone keep an eye on my kid while i go get another beer?
How to post pics:
http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/ins...tml#post169806
Old 03-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
Send a message via MSN to biniecki Send a message via Yahoo to biniecki
Yea i had the same problem however it was my own fault when connecting my remote amp wire into the fuse panel. I ended up grounded it out and blew a trace between the BCM and fuse box and i got the same message as well as no wipers or power steering. They fixed the trace and everything was fine. However it wasn't cheap. Ended up only costing me diagnosis fee to fix it cuz I got connections but retail was going to be over $300. FYI dont jump anything off of the wiper fuse. Use the sunroof instead

hailcesar quote - "I think you got the best transformation from Ls to badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 03-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by biniecki View Post
Yea i had the same problem however it was my own fault when connecting my remote amp wire into the fuse panel. I ended up grounded it out and blew a trace between the BCM and fuse box and i got the same message as well as no wipers or power steering. They fixed the trace and everything was fine. However it wasn't cheap. Ended up only costing me diagnosis fee to fix it cuz I got connections but retail was going to be over $300. FYI dont jump anything off of the wiper fuse. Use the sunroof instead
^^ Nice one.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Newcomer

eh... mine still has that problem with the 'Service Airbag' coming on, but then again mine doesn't have a driver airbag.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Newcomer

"Service Airbag"

I thought you had to do something to your girlfriend......Opps?
Old 12-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Newcomer

Exclamation

Well, hate to bring this subject back up but figured I throw out a few more questions on the subject. I've got a 2.2 LS Coupe, Got the lame "Service Airbag" warning as well as the passenger air bag off. Just wondering where in the wiring this issue occurs, or where else exactly to look. I tried a volt meter to the harness by the pillar next to the rear seat(passenger side). But seemed normal. I'm just tired now from workin' on my buddies car and decided to look elsewhere for help. Anything would be helpful, since I don't have the time to take my car to the dealer...
Old 12-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to dantastic Send a message via Skype™ to dantastic
Air Bags are nothing to **** with. I have heard of them going off (not in the cobalt) while the person was driving down the road. I am really surprised that it didn't go off. I have also heard that they don't go off in a wreck. I know what you mean on they blaming your stereo install on the problem. They blamed my DOME LIGHT problem on the aftermarket key less entry I installed. Good Luck!

2005 Chevy Cobalt Sedan Victory Red. AEM Cold Air Intake, 15% tint, 20% tint, 12v 170 W xenon/halogen headlight bulbs, decals!

Cars I have owned and are in the bone yard:
1976 Chrysler Cordoba $1,100
1984 Honda Accord $100.00
1986 Chevy Spectrum $200.00
1989 Chevy Beretta $250.00
2004 Chevy Aveo $10,000 (traded in)
Old 12-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Cobalt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktamer View Post
Well, hate to bring this subject back up but figured I throw out a few more questions on the subject. I've got a 2.2 LS Coupe, Got the lame "Service Airbag" warning as well as the passenger air bag off. Just wondering where in the wiring this issue occurs, or where else exactly to look. I tried a volt meter to the harness by the pillar next to the rear seat(passenger side). But seemed normal. I'm just tired now from workin' on my buddies car and decided to look elsewhere for help. Anything would be helpful, since I don't have the time to take my car to the dealer...
Have you checked all the ground connections? cause they replaced the passenger seat cushion in mine, only to find out it was a bad ground wire at the bottom of the passenger side rear pillar. Check your ground wires for flaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakdOut07LT View Post
ill be the DRUNKEST mofo there btw can someone keep an eye on my kid while i go get another beer?
How to post pics:
http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/ins...tml#post169806
Old 12-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Newcomer

Thumbs up

I know know what your talking about, I'll check that ASAP then. *sigh* Thx for the speedy reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread