Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheap CAI & Exhuast, Worth It?

3K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  hailcesar75 
#1 ·
Hi there, first time poster, so feel free to berate me for any stupidity you might under from this post.

I have an 06 LS 2.2 NA Cobalt, runs great, no performance mods at this time, only aesthetic. She's an older girl at 128k and counting (I drive 80+ miles a day), so I don't want to do anything crazy or high dollar on her. She's more of a practice car for whenever I get an SS in a few years and murder it out.

Long story short, for aesthetic reasons (not looking for performance), I was looking to get a cheap CAI & exhaust system. I'm an apprentice (soon to be GM certified) mechanic, that being said while I have the tools and know how on how to install these kits, I don't have the $$ for a high end one, but I came across this:

For 05 Cobalt 2 2L Catback Exhaust Muffler 3 5" Tip Cold Air Intake Pipe Filter | eBay

It's cheap, it has good reviews, and it looks good.

That being said, I had a couple of questions

1) Are the 2.2 balts from 05 & 06 unchanged? The kit is listed for an 05, but from what I understand the 05 & 06 2.2 NA balts are virtually identical, so I shouldn't have any issues on compatibility

and

2) Has anyone had experience with this particular kit? Keep in mind, I'm going for aesthetics and sound, not performance. The kit doesn't have to improve my HP, but at the same time I want to make sure it isn't so cheap that it'll hurt my baby. The seller has great reviews on most everything they sell, so it looks alright to me, but I was wondering if any of you had any experience.

Thanks for any advice or tips in advance from me and my old girl.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes the 05' and 06 cobalts are the same, you can interchange pretty much every part with them, so no you will not have problems with compatibility.

I would be careful when going with ebay cat backs. The problem with having a four banger is the fart can effect. It is very easy to cause our balts' to sound like a ricer with a fart can strapped to the back. I would go on youtube and look up videos of different exhausts people have put on their cobalts so you know what the final sound will be.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I just went on youtube real quick and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_vmNBSFdYA

It has an ebay link in the description that takes you to a listing that, while not of the same seller/combo listing, appears to be the exact exhaust included with the original link package I put.

In my personal opinion, it sounds pretty good. But what do you think? I've never had a car with a modified exhaust, so I don't know much about how it sounds in real life. Is an exhaust like that obnoxiously loud while outside of the car? How about while inside?

How does it sound going down the highway? I don't want it to be so loud it hurts my ears or I have to drown it out with blasting music. Does the sound mellow out any?

Sorry for asking what might be dumb/obvious questions, I've only been on the car scene for about a year now, and everything I deal with at my dealership is factory, no aftermarket, so I don't really have a feel or know what to expect from any of it.

#4 ·
Just because it looks the same doesn't necessarily mean it sounds the same. And it looks like the exhaust you chose is made by a different company than the one in the video.

It is hard to judge what the car is going to sound like inside the cabin and driving down the highway from only hearing a couple revs from a video. Its best to find someone who actually has the exhaust and can tell you what it sounds like personally.

My personal experience is you don't need a full cat back to make our balts' sound good. I only have a aftermarket header and muffler on mine and I love it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fYZxFsvMBs
Here is the muffler I currently have on my cobalt (Not my car in the video).

#5 ·
I like the sound of both exhaust systems, I think I'm going to go with the package deal I originally posted, I read up on it and it sounds pretty good. My exhaust system is kind of old and I don't know anyone reputable in my area to install a new muffler.

I can make a new thread if need be, but while I'm on the topic of aesthetics, do you have any experience with painting the ecotec engine covers (the plastic pop off ones?). From what I've been reading, it's a straight forward wash, prime, paint. But no one mentions the brands of the paint they use. I was planning on using 2 coats rustoleum hi temp primer, followed by 2 coats rustoleum 'ford blue' engine enamel.

#6 ·
As long as the paint is heat resistant I think you will be fine. I was planning on painting mine this coming up summer. Rustoleum products normally last a long time so I think you will be fine using that on the engine cover.

#7 ·
Thank you for all the information and for not hounding me for being new to the scene. Once I have all the things I want mocked together, I'll post some pictures. To give you an idea how basic my balt is:

06 LS BALT 2.2 NA

Upgrades:
Rear seats went from cloth to leather. Front seats have blue/black cloth racing seat covers. LT tach, lt shifter, added armrest, heavy duty rubber mats. Blue LED domelight, White led trunk light, white led trunk light, white led reverse lights, brand new headlight fixtures (factory) w/ sylvania silverstar ultra bulbs. Black pinstripe added, added pontiac grand am spoiler. Upgraded stock steelies to 15in 4 lug 05 saturn ion rims (classy, I know). Upgraded to full pioner sound system from lt balt. My balt is pretty much an LT at this point. I found a 06 LT balt fully loaded at pull-a-part, and gutted it for all of it's updated interiors that I could.

Planned mods this paycheck:

Cold air intake, catback exhuast, pinch weld covers, paint engine cover, wire in kick-pannel blue LED strips.

#8 ·
We all gotta start somewhere. That is a pretty good list of upgrades already. Once the simple LS to LT conversion mods are done, then you can experience the fun of going from LT to SS :)

#9 ·
I guess while I'm here with someone so knowledgeable about modding a cobalt, I do have a question I had from a while back I was never able to answer because I can't seem to get a 2 door balt next to a 4 door balt at once.

Chevy cobalt side skirts

I found that listing on craigslist and messaged the guy. Factory white, but meant for a two door. Are the skirt lengths on 2 doors and 4 doors different? He says he's certain theyll only work for a 2 door balt, but I didn't think the measurements differed?

#13 ·
UPDATE!

So I went through with my purchase and I have to say, I am impressed!

Shipped quickly, arrived in good shape, and sounds GREAT!

Although I must say while the install was 80% straight forward, the is for sure some special tools involved, and some very confusing parts.

I plan too in the future write up and install thread for this exact kit, so stay tuned. Also, i'll try to get a decent quality video of the sound !

Thank you everyone for your advice and guidance, it was much appreciated.

#14 ·
Also, does anyone know where to by intake tubing with a nipple for PCV hose attachement? This kit uses the stock diaphragm that hooks up to the throttle body, and I think I want to eliminate it and use some rubber elbows. But the current set up uses that diaphragm to keep the PCV breather hose, so I'd have to get a pipe length with a nipple on it to attach the hose. will provide pics when I'm on my lunch break.

#15 ·
Check an auto parts store. I know advanced auto carries silicone elbows you could use. You can always get a breather filter from there too so you don't need a nipple and tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.