Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forged Pistons and the Engine

9K views 53 replies 4 participants last post by  tjules8949 
#1 ·
So i was thinking about getting forged pistons but then i thought about the engine head. My car is 2010 but i was wondering if i got new pistons and rods if id be smart to replace the engine head or something like that.

#2 ·
Why are you considering getting forged pistons? You definitely don't need them unless you turbo/supercharge your car.

I don't think you'd need to replace the head, although I could be wrong. Valves would be more useful.

#3 ·
I am planning for a turbo forgot to mention it sorry haha and thanks

#4 ·
Ah, gotcha. You'd probably be okay on stock internals if you're just doing the ZZP turbo kit. Don't go crazy on boost, and it'll be safe. If you do want to crank up the boost, then yeah, forged valves and pistons, probably also new valve springs, maybe some other stuff.

What do you think @MP81 ?

#5 ·
Really depends on how much power you want to run.

I've had the blower on my car for 80k miles now, doing about ~280 crank HP.

If you want to run more power, forge it, if not, you'll probably be fine.

#15 ·
I wanna get around 220 hp but not going over maybe 13 psi nothing to crazy just to have some fun pulls going to and from work without getting a ticket again ?

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

And yeah i would just want a more peace of mind knowing i upgraded my weak rods and a few internals when i get the turbo then worrying about small noises in the engine and getting paranoid ??

#7 ·
Ahh yes, that is also true.

#12 ·
You should be fine on the 3.1 pulley.. I'd probably still be driving mine if I used the 3.1 instead but then it wouldn't be getting built for real power and I probably wouldn't have bought the saab

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

The durango would be built by now though haha

#14 ·
Probably not right away but maybe down the line. It will already be built to handle it though

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Unless I have the extra cash and a deal pops up on a used one

#19 ·
Is it a saab turbo? And i hope it will be fun i kinda have a blast with 160hp already

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

Remember though - boost is directly influenced by resistance to flow - opening up the exhaust on an engine will drop the boost level but make more power, so it depends what that 13psi is with.
Im doing a 3 inch but i just said 13 i think 15 needs something like better fuel or something if i read right...could be wrong though

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

For around 220 HP, I think you'll be okay with stock internals. I don't think 13 psi will put enough strain on there to be dangerous.
Yeah they told me that to but want to get it eight the first time and have luttle to no issues

#21 ·
Wait what happened to the g5? And i heard the saab turbo was a fun car to

#22 ·
Too much power on stock internals. I was pushing about the same power as mp81 if not a little bit more and threw a rod through the block.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Guess I threw the piston through the block as well haha

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

I'm only into the saab for about 2200 bucks total though including a new gmpp clutch, easily one of the best deals I got on a car haha

#23 ·
Oh my....lol well hope it is rebuilt and that is a really good deal ?

#24 ·
He's one of those people who really can find deals - and drives all over the damn state to obtain them. :laugh:

#26 ·
"A little way". :laugh:

#28 ·
91 or 93 is a must, no matter how much boost you're running. Preferably 93.

All of our Premium up here is 93.

Nice part about the Camaro is that it is a pathetic 8.6:1 - and only needs 87. :laugh:

#31 ·
No, I run 93. We don't usually have 91 here, only 93.

#32 ·
Huh, well that kinda sucks they don't offer 91. Then again, with your 2.9" pulley, according to ZZP, you should be using 93 anyway.

ZZPerformance.com said:
Pulley System: Pulley size and color.
3.1" recommended for users with 91 octane.
3.0" recommended for users with a ZZP downpipe and 93 octane.
2.9" we recommend 60# injectors, adding a larger heat exchanger, dual pass endplate, header/downpipe and 91/92 octane.
2.8" requires the above mods and 93+ octane gas or E85.
2.7" requires all of the above and cams/valve springs.
Ecotec Parts ZZP Stage 2 Kit

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

I mean, technically they list 91 octane for 2.9" but since they listed 93 for a 3.0" I assume they actually mean 93.

#34 ·
I think in Maryland we have both i dont really look so im not quit sure

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Oh wait...that would mean if i add a turbo i gotta upgrade the clutch to ?..dont know any upgraded clutch kits for the LT but ill look around.

#35 ·
Both will require one, yes. You'll blow right through it eventually, otherwise. :laugh: You'll be replacing one way or another.

Yeah, they have plenty of higher-HP-handling ones available.

#37 ·
Most anything with clamping power above stock should put it into the 300 lb-ft range, I'd think.

#38 ·
Ok thanks i just didnt want to buy one with to much torque and use up money i could have saved

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

I found one at rockauto for about $350 and has a wheel torque capacity if 270 lbs./ft and torque at the flywheel at 337 lbs/ft i think that good enough. But thanks you guys for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.