How To: Winterize/install Block and Pan Heaters on Your Cobalt - Page 2 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Exterior Exterior DIY/How-to's

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 06:55 AM
Forum Regular

Phillips and Temro block heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerlow View Post
Also: These block heaters have a built in thermostat in the cord, they will not run unless the temp is 0 degrees or lower. Not the best design IMO but oh well, it still works good. It keeps my coolant at 40 degrees in below zero weather. ...
So that is why my engine did not heat up any quicker this morning. dang!

The block heater was not available on the 2010 Cobalt; my local dealer could not get one for me. However, it is available at the manufacturer PhillipsandTemro

Part number 3400020, 300 watts, it includes a cordset, but no wire clamps.

Philips and Temro referred me to a distributor, Mill Supply in Cleveland: 216-518-2710. They can ship the part to your home.

Classic Chevrolet in Mentor, Ohio installed the block heater for no fee when I was having the electric power steering recall done. I will patronize Classic again!

Can I alter the cord set to eliminate the thermostat? I bought the block heater to prolong engine life and to see if warm starts would give me better fuel economy. I have the block heater wired to a timer as my control system. The timer is rated to 1800 watts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Found in Phillips and Temro catalog
J 3600082 5 ft. (1.52m) GM Replacement Cordset with thermostat
J 3600083 5 ft. (1.52m) GM Replacement Cordset with silicone connector (No t-stat)

NOTE: 3600082 must be used in all 2006 and newer GM passenger cars to avoid a Check Engine Light.
http://phillipsandtemro.com/UserFile...ct_catalog.pdf
I speculate that the ECM will report an error/CEL if the engine block temperature is warmer than the ambient temperature. Hopefully, one could just clear the message with the D.I.C. reset key. The ECM/DIC will quit complaining eventually. I am not sure, though.

Now I am considering ordering the "other" cordset to see what would happen. Or, I could cut into the old cordset.

Last edited by Ecobalt; 12-27-2010 at 07:22 AM. Reason: found more data at PandT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 03:57 PM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
yep when the comp. checks the air temp and coolant temp it will set off your engine light. super retarded. That's why I want to run a heater on the oil pan like Wolf has.
-83 2 door S-10 Blazer- Getting fully customized.|Bags|body drop|everything shaved|Cadillac tails|fiber glass ram air hood|20's|400 V8|plus way too much to list!|also, lobalt will be able to drive it someday!| lol
Old 12-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to camopaint0707
i went to autozone today and they don't have any engine heaters so i might have to order them, what and where can i get the sealent stuff to stick it onto my oil pan
Old 12-27-2010, 04:01 PM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Ask lonewolf, he will have your answer.
-83 2 door S-10 Blazer- Getting fully customized.|Bags|body drop|everything shaved|Cadillac tails|fiber glass ram air hood|20's|400 V8|plus way too much to list!|also, lobalt will be able to drive it someday!| lol
Old 12-27-2010, 06:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerlow View Post
Parts needed
2 Kat's by Five Star hot pad heaters P/N 24050
2 3 oz. tubes of Permatex RTV sealant I use the black because its best for extremely cold temps.
1 Old credit card (like the fakes ones you get offers for in the mail)
1 2x4 doesnt need to be too long maybe 1 foot at the most
1 car jack
1 2-3 ft. tri tap extension cord with the clear outlets and tips Kats sells these also P/N 41300 but you can find them at all hardware stores
Dish Washing Rubber gloves you dont want to do this with bare hands because you will get sealant on you and it wont come off for weeks
Zip ties
Thats the stuff you need its at just about all automotive stores, I think Walmart even sells it.

Please Excuse the bad picture in my sig, but my sig has a link to the new awy my car looks in a much better light

160 MPH SS/SC Cluster, Air box mod, Custom Spectre Short Ram Intake, Back on Steelies for the Winter
Old 12-31-2010, 10:51 AM
Forum Regular

I chopped off the plug with the integral thermostat and installed a new plug. I heated the engine for a few hours, then drove off. The ECM/DIC did not report any error or "check engine light".

If you order a Philips and Temro engine heater, tell them that your Cobalt is a pre-2006 model so that you do not get the cordset with the integral thermostat. Happy motoring!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Forum Regular

Honestly I didn't notice much different when I had a block heater on my Ecotec. Ran and sounded the same.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Initiate

haha my car came with this and the first time i saw it im like WTF is it!!! lol my cars electric
Old 12-03-2011, 07:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
Honestly I didn't notice much different when I had a block heater on my Ecotec. Ran and sounded the same.
Thats exactly the way you want it to be also, what it does for you car in cold climates is keep the block,antifreeze, and oil at an above freezing temp so your car doesnt struggle to start and sound like crap when its first started. This also prevents the engine blocks from cracking during cold starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt714 View Post
haha my car came with this and the first time i saw it im like WTF is it!!! lol my cars electric
Its a good way to tell which dealerships are hustling the people on sales up here, our gm dealerships sell all there cars non winterized, and then charge about 400 to winterize after you purchase the car. The local Ford dealership all the cars from there unless there convertables come winterized already, without an extra bump on the pricetag.

Please Excuse the bad picture in my sig, but my sig has a link to the new awy my car looks in a much better light

160 MPH SS/SC Cluster, Air box mod, Custom Spectre Short Ram Intake, Back on Steelies for the Winter
Old 01-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
If anyone needs to the part numbers they are 15271946(cord with thermostat and round plug) and 12587535(Block heater with round end). I was able to install it without jacking the car up just had to remove the the heat shield from the header. I was able order these two from gmpartsdirect.com for $145 shipped.

I don't think it's necessary but, I had some thermal compound laying around for heat sinks and applied it to the block heater.

Last edited by Black; 01-27-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread