How Do I Hook Up Led Strips? to Cars Autolights and Car's Dimmer - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Interior & Exterior Styling Talk about Chevy Cobalt interior and exterior products such as body kits, spoilers, steering wheels, shift knobs, etc.

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 07:03 AM
Newcomer

How Do I Hook Up Led Strips? to Cars Autolights and Car's Dimmer

Hello I was wanting to install Led Strips in my car so that the lights automatically come on when it is dark like all my other night time lights,
Can someone post a tutorial?
Also is their a way to safely hook up the lights to the cars dimmer?

If I must hook up to the fuse box can someone link me to or make a tutorial on how to hook up to fuse box detailing exactly what extra parts I need and how to install as I have never hooked up anything to a fuse box, also a video would be nicer

Also I have a 2010 Chevy Cobalt Lt 4Dr Sedan if it matters

Thanks,
Cobalt_Fan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 07:31 AM
Forum Regular

Here is a link for courtesy lights (dim when you close your door), but I looked in my car last night and it does not have the blue wire with white stripe or grey wire, so it might not work for you.

How to add on to courtesy lights.

Here is another a member here posted that seems a little more difficult for me, but only because I don't know how to work a jumper or barrier strip.

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/ins...eons-leds.html

This is about as simple as I can tell you. I have been doing a lot of research over the past few days, but these two have seemed to be the easiest in my opinion.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
This one is the easiest just tap in parallel with the shifter lamp if you have an automatic transmission. This lamp comes on with ambiant light sensor and follows the dimmer for intensity.

But if you want it to follow the dome light you will have to tap into dome circuit. Or you can do both and complicate things like I did.
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Old 04-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Forum Regular

Coby, I am wanting my LEDs to come on when I unlock/open my car door like the dome light does, but I don't want it to fade out. Is it possible to wire it to the dome light fuse but keep them on while riding and then they will cut off after cutting off the car?
Old 04-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Let me think about that one!!!!

Old 04-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Forum Regular

I'm thinking of just wiring it to the dome light fuse. The dome light has the choice of staying on all the time, off all the time, or come on when the doors come on, so the power must be a constant flow to it and it changes with the switch, correct? So if I wire LEDs to the fuse, it should be able to do the same?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
No, because you switch the dome light ground.

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Got it, figured it out here's what you need. In red box hi-lighted in yellow. Just insert a twelve volt relay with N/O & N/C contacts. Insert coil between RAP B+ and ground. Ground one side of the relay's N/O contacts and run other contact through a blocking diode to pin A10 of C3 on BCM and to negative of LED strip. To N/C contact run Dome or B+ to one side and the other side to positive side of LED. Run Shifter bulb dimmable positive again through a blocking diode to LED positive. This will give you Voltage for when you open your doors.

This way your LEDs will come on when you open your door and also when you start your car, they will stay on 10 to 15 minutes after you turn your key off or open the door and fade.

Last edited by Coby7; 04-29-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Forum Regular

I have no idea what any of that means, but I'll stick to my original plan of using the Radio fuse haha
Old 04-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sorry, had a bug in my drawing, corrected it, this should not leave dome light on.

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmorris8848 View Post
I have no idea what any of that means, but I'll stick to my original plan of using the Radio fuse haha
RAP B+ is the same as Radio fuse.
Then LEDs will only come fully on when you start your car and not dim with dimmer, but if that is all you want you should be good.

The last diagram will do both turn on when you open your car door and fade out with dome unless you start your car before the fade then they will stay on at select luminance level with dimmer Knob, until you shut it off and walk away from your car like dome does.

Last edited by Coby7; 04-29-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Forum Regular

So what would I need to plug the positive wire and negative wire into for the latter to happen? The less abbreviations is better, because I'm not fluent in electrical systems like the B+ or BCM or pin A10 and what not. I'm sorry for making this difficult :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread