Well Hello There! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
New Member Introductions For new members of YourCobalt.com to introduce themselves!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Well Hello There!

The name is Tharron. I used to own a rally car but switched gears and bought a '07 Cobalt LT Coupe. I'm currently in the process of upgrading the exterior (it's looking nice so far) but I have a question. My baby has over 190K Miles on it. I bought it at 170K and I'm trying to think of ways to make it run like new. Don't get me wrong, it runs fine. Transmission is running like a charm so no issues there. I have a performance chip and WeaponR Air Intake that give it just enough kick so far. I just want it to last a while. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:25 AM
Prospect

Hey Tharron,
Is there any way to find out if the timing chain and tensioners have ever been replaced? With 130,000 on mine, I'm in the process of changing the timing and camshaft chain and tensioners (as preventative measures) If you want piece of mind, just perform the usual changes at recommended intervals. You can perform a compression test on the cylinders to see how the engine is doing internally. Other than that, keep her clean (especially if you live in the rust belt) Keep an eye on bubbles in paint as an indication of rust, and get to it before it takes off and puts an ugly hole in the body.
That's all I can really think of so far...
Good luck!

2006 Cobalt SS/NA
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WICobaltSS View Post
Hey Tharron,
Is there any way to find out if the timing chain and tensioners have ever been replaced? With 130,000 on mine, I'm in the process of changing the timing and camshaft chain and tensioners (as preventative measures) If you want piece of mind, just perform the usual changes at recommended intervals. You can perform a compression test on the cylinders to see how the engine is doing internally. Other than that, keep her clean (especially if you live in the rust belt) Keep an eye on bubbles in paint as an indication of rust, and get to it before it takes off and puts an ugly hole in the body.
That's all I can really think of so far...
Good luck!
Well, I just finished installing my Weapon-R Air Intake and painting my baby with a matte black finish with red accents. I'll definitely be posting pictures later. I'm going to the state car meet in 2 days so I'm trying to make sure she's ready. She runs like she has a new engine. No lag in shifting gears or jumping. No pinging or knocking. She whistles like a turbo so I'm thinking the previous owner definitely did a good job on the upkeep. Only a little shaking when I go over 55 and some rubbing when I stop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode