Wet Sand and Buff - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Pontiac G5 Interior & Exterior Styling Pontiac G5 Interior & Exterior Styling discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Rocket Send a message via MSN to Rocket
Wet Sand and Buff

So, My car's been painted for about a month now. When I got it back the painter had screwed up the finish by driving it to soon in the rain. Long story short I ended up being the one to fix it.

The entire car was covered in little rings from the individual rain drops. I had to wet sand it with 1000 then 1500 then 2000. I used 3M rubbing compound followed by 3M polish compound followed by 3M swirl remover (all of this with a rotary) then followed through with a PC with 3M perfect-it-3000 trifect or something along those lines, can't remember the exact name. Now that the paint has had 30days to cure it was then sealed with Poorboys EXP followed by two coats of Rubbish Boys Original Edition. The last two pics will be of it sealed and waxed.

Anyways... on with the pics!!

This is right after I got the car home. The painter was even nice enough to quickly (and badly) run a buffer over my nice new black hood in one pass so I had lines going up and down it. It doesn't really show in the pics though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

So, here's part of the black after it got wet sanded and buffed

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

And after I got the whole car done...

And sealed and waxed

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Forum Regular

looking f-ing sweet i like
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Thanks! A lot of blood sweat and tears (Literally) have gone into this car.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
your hard work def. paid off! sucks you had to do it yourself(im sure theres a story that would piss me off) but from the sounds of it, you were better off doing it yourself anyway!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Yeea, I was definitely better off doing it myself. I'd still be out of a car if i left it with him!! It's stupid to because I've seen his previous work and it's all been gorgeous I have no idea wtf happened with my car... lol. Oh well. It's good now and he's being pretty decent so far about upkeep on it. I got nailed with golf ball sized rocks from an oncoming gravel truck that he touched up for me for free. He says he's going to fix the black for me to as area's aren't right on it that aren't able to be buffed out.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Yeea, I was definitely better off doing it myself. I'd still be out of a car if i left it with him!! It's stupid to because I've seen his previous work and it's all been gorgeous I have no idea wtf happened with my car... lol. Oh well. It's good now and he's being pretty decent so far about upkeep on it. I got nailed with golf ball sized rocks from an oncoming gravel truck that he touched up for me for free. He says he's going to fix the black for me to as area's aren't right on it that aren't able to be buffed out.
thats good that he's helping out a bit, still sucks though.
i really dig the two tone. thought about doing black on mine as well, but just dont want to spend the cash on it. maybe someday.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Thanks! Yeea I'm a fan of the two tone. We wanted to keep it sophisticated hence the color tone and the very faint pinstripe. I don't know if you can see in the pics or not but the guy airbrushed a shadow underneath the pinstripe as well. My husband and I have decided that it's essentially a hot rod in a sport compact body. The influence behind the car is both of us are hot rod/muscle car people and the painter normally does choppers and that kinda thing.
I think I've had 3 people out of hundreds say they don't like it. All three wont give an explanation and I personally know two of them and they're the type that if you have something better then them, they don't like it. So meh lol. Even my parents like it. It's a scheme that pretty much any age group can appreciate. I even had a lady that had to be in her 50's damn near break her neck to look at it. I know for some people they don't want "older" people liking there cars, but I like it that EVERYONE can appreciate it. It's not genre specific. It really makes me feel like we hit goal on it.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
i agree. i dig the two tone, but dont want it to be tacky. want to keep it clean. your doing a good job of that, like it all the way around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode