Help!! Big Problem - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Newcomer

Garage
Unhappy Help!! Big Problem

i have an 08 cobalt sport, only had it a month and a half now... purchased it used with 43k on it. anyways, the past 2 weeks it has been acting up, getting worse and worse. it started off with a mild skipping when i would crank the car up and the traction light would come on. then every now and then the service traction or service esc light would come on, along with the skipping. now my car is starting to just cut off on me while im pulling in a parking lot or backing up out of my driveway. it will just cut off! after i crank it back up it seems okay, just still doing the skipping and jerking feeling. now my check engine light is on. lol. of course it has the chevy 100k powertrain warranty so im wondering if this sounds like something that is covered under that?? any advice will help. thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to XFE
Battery maybe??? I would start there. You can take it to any local auto parts store and they can check the battery for free. Other than that, you say you still have a warranty, I would maybe take it to the dealer.

Im sure someone else will chime in as well.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:44 PM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
or it could even be a bad alternator. or bad coil pack or something. could be a lot of things lol. take it to the dealer and have them check for warranty stuff I say.
-83 2 door S-10 Blazer- Getting fully customized.|Bags|body drop|everything shaved|Cadillac tails|fiber glass ram air hood|20's|400 V8|plus way too much to list!|also, lobalt will be able to drive it someday!| lol
Old 03-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Expert

If it was a battery that was dying there is no way it would just crank back up after it died. If it doesn't have the amperage to keep the vehicle running even with the charging system on, it won't be able to take the draw that the starter uses. A battery wouldn't be covered under powertrain warranty either. It could be a fuel pump. I would have it checked out though.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Newcomer

i just had this problem on my sisters car . her traction was off , antilock licght was on , check engine light was on too. in this case the car ran fine though . but any way her right front abs wheel sensor was bad . i don't know why the car would be shutting off . but those lights coming on might be a abs problem .
Old 03-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Expert

No whenever there is a powertrain control malfunction it will often turn off stabilitrak and traction control because it can no longer communicate accurate data. It isnt ABS.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to dkscbalt
The dealer should get you back and running

Built not bought fully bolted 2.2 and Trifecta Tuned

Authorized Trifecta Reseller In Central Wisconsin

Check out my new showoff thread!!!
http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...entral-wi.html
Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to camopaint0707
clean the throttle plate