P0300 Random Missfire - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to dkscbalt
Question P0300 Random Missfire

Well like it says.... I have a random misfire. I took it in to my buddies shop and we hooked it up to his diagnostic machine and it is picking up a missfire on all cylinders at an idle. At an idle you can tell but once I get over 1500 rpm it seems to go away but the reader it telling us that shes still misfiring. We did a vacume leak test and a compression test and everything looks good. So im looking for some ideas. Can one bad injector cause a random misfire accross the board???

Built not bought fully bolted 2.2 and Trifecta Tuned

Authorized Trifecta Reseller In Central Wisconsin

Check out my new showoff thread!!!
http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...entral-wi.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Forum God

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkscbalt View Post
Well like it says.... I have a random misfire. I took it in to my buddies shop and we hooked it up to his diagnostic machine and it is picking up a missfire on all cylinders at an idle. At an idle you can tell but once I get over 1500 rpm it seems to go away but the reader it telling us that shes still misfiring. We did a vacume leak test and a compression test and everything looks good. So im looking for some ideas. Can one bad injector cause a random misfire accross the board???
dude yes it can, my car is in the shop for that problem. change your spark plugs then see wat happens from there

Hello
Old 08-25-2010, 02:08 AM
Veteran

Yea I changed the plugs and had the same results. Im either thinking its a bad injector or possibly a burnt out valve. If thats the case I get to do the port and polish that Ive been talking bout for such a long time. I have also read that there can be a bad ground on our motors " the 2.2" that can cause this. I have also heard it cold be my CIA but I highly doubt that. I won a set of injectors on EBAY for 55 dollars so Im hoping that will fix the misfire at idle problem. I will keep you guys posted on what I find out. Im also still open to being pointed in the direction that could be causing this headache as Im picky and dont like my babys CEL on.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Forum God

Garage
keep me updated then

Hello
Old 08-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Sneezing Daily
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
What do you have you spark plugs gapped at? I would say that may be causing it, however I find it hard to believe that your car is blowing out the spark, exhaust mods again?

S252 Next (Car is gonna be fast and Sneezing, lots!)
Old 08-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Veteran

No the exhaust is something I have not changed yet.... Still running my Tsudo cat back, and OBX header downpipe from Ebay. I will be changing that soon though. The only other thing that crossed my mind was I put the Injen Hydroshield on my CAI. Not sure if that is causing it though. Weird thing is that my CEL hasnt come on in the past day. I have narrowed it down to the misfire throwing the code only at idle rmps. I can feel the misfires also when im paying attention. I guess the solid motor mounts are paying off lol. Im gonna check my valves at my buddies shop when I change my injectors. Just wanna make sure I dont have a burnt exhaust valve.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkscbalt View Post
No the exhaust is something I have not changed yet.... Still running my Tsudo cat back, and OBX header downpipe from Ebay. I will be changing that soon though. The only other thing that crossed my mind was I put the Injen Hydroshield on my CAI. Not sure if that is causing it though. Weird thing is that my CEL hasnt come on in the past day. I have narrowed it down to the misfire throwing the code only at idle rmps. I can feel the misfires also when im paying attention. I guess the solid motor mounts are paying off lol. Im gonna check my valves at my buddies shop when I change my injectors. Just wanna make sure I dont have a burnt exhaust valve.
Oh yea the plug gaps are all at .040. I also ordered a set of Denso Iridiums. They are supposed to be the best plug for the 2.2 Ecotec N/A application.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Veteran

Well I changed my injectors and the misfire code is gone and my balt is running great! I wish I took a pic of what came outta my fuel rail though. I think its time to change my fuel filter. Kinda strange though my car only has 45,000 miles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread