Couple Check Engine Codes - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Newcomer

Couple Check Engine Codes

Okay, so i've had a check engine light on for a while, and finally got it scanned.

The codes that came back were

P0420 - catalyst control system below threshold (bank 1).

I have a 2005 cobalt, 2.2 litre. What are the chances it's actually the catalytic convertor, and not the downstream o2 sensor? The o2 sensor is $50 for a delphi one, and the convertor is $400. I'm debating on spending the $50 for the o2 sensor just to see if that's the problem, but if it's just gonna be another $50 wasted (I was told by autozone that it was the upstream o2 sensor throwing that code), than I might as well just spend the $400 and be done.

Also, another code that was thrown, I can't remember the number, but it described it as this:

Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (Large) - Occassionally, when driving, the car will ding and the 'check gas cap' light will come on, even though the cap is down as tight as it will go. Would a 'large' be classified as a faulty gas cap gasket, or is it something else somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Forum Regular

I don't know about your first problem but for the second one I would try replacing the gas cap just to see. Get a nice locking one or something they're like 12 bucks I believe.

Also, stupid question but are you turning your gas cap two clicks to tighten? That's what I was always told to do...just saying.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
I don't know about your first problem but for the second one I would try replacing the gas cap just to see. Get a nice locking one or something they're like 12 bucks I believe.

Also, stupid question but are you turning your gas cap two clicks to tighten? That's what I was always told to do...just saying.
I actually do three clicks. My wife seems to be the one having a problem with the gascap LOL go figure. I looked at the gasket on the cap and it looks cracked so I think I'm going to replace it and check again.

My big problem is the first code I'm getting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread