Cobalt Gear and Tire Problems? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Newcomer

Cobalt Gear and Tire Problems?

I turn on my Cobalt, put it in gear, release the brake and the car will not move.
I was coming home from the movies, pulled into my parking spot and heard a loud sound. Kinda just thought I had ran over a stick and it dragged across the bottom. We sat there talking for a bit then I was going to move my car to shine my lights on something. I reversed, switch back to drive and started moving forward then everything froze. I pressed the gas but nothing would happen and pressed the brake until it would barely let me press it down enough to put the car back in park. I then restarted my car and we were able to move but it kept making a loud almost metal like popping sound under the front is where it sounded like. I pulled out, got out and look under the car but there was nothing there. So I didn't run over anything. I went around the block and every time I'd turn it'd make that loud popping sound. Got back, parked the car and gave up for the night since it was like 3am. The next day I contacted a friend and we took it out for a drive with no problems except the front driver side tire seemed to be whistling. No popping noises though, no having to restart the car to get it to move.
The second time this happened I started my car, put it in reverse, released the break and nothing. Pressing the gas wouldn't even make the engine louder. Third times the same thing and that popping noise has never returned.
However if I restart the car it all works just fine both times. Whats causing this? It's happened three times now...
Also when driving down the road my drivers side front tire seems to squeak sometimes when turning, but mostly just a whistle. And what was that Loud popping noises??!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Forum God

that's weird. Did pushing the gas not make the engine rev in ALL occurences? if so I think something's wrong with the gas pedal system. If not, then it's most likely the auto transmission taking a crap...

how old is the car? how many km's? what year, etc?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Newcomer

I'm pretty sure it never made the engine rev, I'm asking my friend now if she remembers. I wouldn't say thats it though cause usually when my cars in reverse and I let go of the brake it'll start backing up, however when it does this lock up thing, it doesn't move at all. I'm going to run out to it to get the details so I'll be right back with that.

Alright its a Cobalt LS Coupe, 2005. 644,000 miles. 4 speed auto trans. My friend doesn't remember it reving either.

Another friend said it might be falsely locking itself up thinking it's rolling away even though my foot was on the brake the whole time...? So confused.

Oh I remembered something else, not only did the brakes barely let me push them but the steering wheel refused to turn no matter how hard I tried. I didn't think to try this the second or third time it happened though so I don't know if that always happens or not.

Last edited by Syria; 07-27-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Seems like a total loss of power, are you sure that the car was running when you had put it in reverse (rpm are higher than 0, should be in the 700 - 1000 when idling)? If the car had been running, but suddenly get a loss of power, your dashlights would stay lit,except engine would be off.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to MP81 Send a message via AIM to MP81 Send a message via MSN to MP81 Send a message via Yahoo to MP81
This...is all very, very strange.

It almost sounds like the culmination of a bunch of different issues all at once...hmmm...

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syria View Post
I'm pretty sure it never made the engine rev, I'm asking my friend now if she remembers. I wouldn't say thats it though cause usually when my cars in reverse and I let go of the brake it'll start backing up, however when it does this lock up thing, it doesn't move at all. I'm going to run out to it to get the details so I'll be right back with that.

Alright its a Cobalt LS Coupe, 2005. 644,000 miles. 4 speed auto trans. My friend doesn't remember it reving either.

Another friend said it might be falsely locking itself up thinking it's rolling away even though my foot was on the brake the whole time...? So confused.

Oh I remembered something else, not only did the brakes barely let me push them but the steering wheel refused to turn no matter how hard I tried. I didn't think to try this the second or third time it happened though so I don't know if that always happens or not.
lol okay first off I think you mean 64,000miles? (644,000miles would be epic though)

Also, I have a strong suspicion that when this happens, you are accidentally put your car in "accessory" and not actually turning it on. This is when you turn your keys all the way without cranking it. This sounds EXACTLY like what you have done. Because the power steering is not on, your brakes are locked/hard, and the engine doesn't rev...but your interior lights and gauge cluster go on, am I right? If so, I think you're not turning your engine on properly...make sure the engine revs high after you crank the key all the way in the ignition.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Subforum Moderator
Subforum Moderator

Mine did the same thing, except for the popping noise. Turned out to be my steering motor was going out and drawing to much power shutting all kinds of shit off. Did you get the recall done yet?

Syndicate of Tuners
Old 07-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Newcomer

No I can hear the engine come on. And the first time it happened I was moving the car, but when I moved from reverse back to drive it wouldn't move or rev no more. I could release the brake and just sit there.
The headlights and engine both were running, the engine never stopped it just doesn't rev...
It happens randomly and not every time so I can't exactly test it very easily..
(and yes 64,400 lol evil typos)

The power steering fail recall thing? Yes I did get that replaced.

Oh and BboyTaktix I tried that if just by some rare case I had gone crazy but the engine light is on when you do it so I would of noticed that since I was looking all over for a cause lol. And it wasn't that the power steering wasn't on, I dont think seeing how two of us where trying to move the steering wheel and it would not budge.

Last edited by Syria; 07-27-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to MP81 Send a message via AIM to MP81 Send a message via MSN to MP81 Send a message via Yahoo to MP81
I mean, the not moving parts sounds like a fried torque converter, but the fact it doesn't rev up would not agree with that, since a toasted converter would lead to the engine just revving up fast as hell.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Newcomer

Could it be some kind of fuse problem? Although I never heard of such thing...the maintenance section says something about only turning the tires one direction and it won't let you turn them left...I think I was able to turn the steering wheel all the way right and thats when the steering wheel locked up. But that's just a guess I can't really remember that night. It just don't make sense at why it would stop moving just cause I shifted back into drive and stop reving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread