Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobalt Total Shut-Down While Driving

32K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  Bigdd2007 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 chev. Cobalt and recently while driving@ highway speed the vehicle totally shut down (motor, lights, radio, anything electronic)about 5 min later I was able to restart the engine with all electronics restored. I took it a dealer they told that the problem was caused by a malfunction of the Mass Airflow Sensor.I understand that a malfunction of the Mass Airflow Sensor could cause a car to stall. However the Question I have and not been able to get answer from GM, is:
****Will a Malfunction of the Mass Airflow Sensor cause a Total Shut Down of all the Vehicles Electrical Systems?
I am concerned that this vehicle may still have a problem.

#2 ·
Sounds like ignition switch

#3 ·
Bigdd2007,

I’m sorry to hear about your car shutting down on you on the highway – but I’m glad you’re okay!

In regards to your question about the Mass Airflow Sensor, I’m looking into it for you and will post again when I have an answer (should be within the next couple of days – our experts are busy folks!).

Thanks for your patience, and if there’s anything I can do in the meantime, don’t hesitate to PM me (I’d need first/last name, VIN, etc so I can access your information).

Sarah
GM Customer Service

#5 ·
We have had the car checked Out at a GM dealer,all the electric wiring is Ok and the Battery cables are tight. The dealer says nothing else is wrong wth the car( only a malfunctioning Mass air flow Sensor) but they have not yet explained why we lost all electronics @ highway speed . ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM???

#6 ·
The maf should not affect the function of ANY electronics. I had a short circuit in the wirin of an O2 sensor and it kept blowing the fuse that is connected to the circuit for the MAF, Evap solenoid and both O2 sensors and the car would start then die immediately but all electronics worked fine. You may have a short in your electrical system somewhere else that caused this issue. Good luck.

#7 ·
Hello again Bigdd2007 –

I heard back from our technical assistance center and their response to your question was: “Generally no, this should not cause total electrical system failure. To verify what the actual concern is we recommend that the customer take vehicle to a General Motors dealership or a qualified service center”

I realize you’ve been into your dealership already. Keep being active on this. If you would like Customer Assistance to help you work with your dealer towards getting this concern resolved, please private message me with your first/last name, VIN, and phone number. From there, I’ll set up a case and get things moving on my end.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

#8 ·
Have them check for corrosion on contacts of the big fuse in the trunk. Might have gotten wet from road grim after a flat tire change, snow shovel thrown in the trunk or a leaky third brake light seal at the trunk.

#9 ·
We have done all the suggestions. We have been to a GM Dealer Twice. My biggest concern is that this car may not be safe to Drive and here is Why: When the "TOTAL" Shut down Happen we were rounding a left hand curve,we were Lucky and Managed to grind the car to stop without sliding off the road. After sitting in total darkness for a few minutes ( without any electric at all) the car started and acted if there was never a problem. The next day we took it to a GM dealer all they said was the Mass Air flow sensor was bad after repair they said the car was safe to drive. When questioned about the total electric failure all they replied is the sensor caused problem and there was no electric wire damage. It seems to to me that if this sensor can cause such a "MASSIVE FAILURE" of all electric systems required to bring the car safely to a halt, this car may have a major problem. I just hope it does not take some getting injured or killed before this issue is dealt with.

#10 ·
Have you tried going into an empty parking lot and doing a sharp lefthand turn just to see what would happen.

#11 · (Edited)
Same thing happened to me, but I luckily wasn't on a highway or interstate.

Back in June, I was driving to work at about 30mph. Stereo shut off, engine died, power steering stopped, dash went black.

Pulled over, put the car in neutral and it started right back up. Weird.

Dealer replaced the Body Control Module (BCM) 'cause they couldn't replicate the problem. No codes were displayed on my dash when when car started back up.

Very scary ordeal.

I have a 2008 Sport Coupe that had about 15k miles on it at the time.

No problems since.

#13 ·
My girlfriend has the same problem on her 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. It is a base model with no real options to speak of. But, about once or twice a week while driving on the highway the car will completely shut off. She has to put the car in nuetral, turn the key to the off position, then turn the car back on and it continues driving. Sometimes it'll happen 3-4 times in one day. This is a very serious problem as I've seen quite a few other people having this issue. I will call customer service about the issue tomorrow and see about taking it into the dealership. She doesn't make good money right now so she can't afford any costly repairs but I don't see why Chevrolet wouldn't cover this since it's a serious problem on their side, nothing on our side that was done to the car.

#14 ·
These years of Cobalt had an ignition switch problem if I remember correctly. Check with dealer for sure.

#15 ·
If you have the automatic lock doors do they unlock while driving before the car shuts down? If so you can ask Chevy to check the transmission control modular. My 05 Cobalt started unlocking the doors while the car was driving and then after about 3-5 mins the car would completely loose power. After 6 trips to various mechanics and the dealer I found out it was the TCM.

#16 ·
Happened again yesterday while in the driveway at the bank. Mileage 16,567.

Thanks for the door locks tip. I hope I can remember that when/if it happens again.

I'm calling my dealer to make notes in my file associated with my car's VIN.

Any more help/info from Chevy?

I'm going to contact Chevy too to ensure this is documented for my car.

#17 ·
Dealer mechanic spent all day Friday going through everything. No codes, no noticeable problems. He installed additional ground wires on both the ECM & TCM. GMs database showed that piror cases have been fixed with these redundant ground wires. I'm hoping this resolves my problems. Maybe it will work for others too.

#18 ·
well hopefully that will finally solve the issue. Thanks for getting back to us with more info, it may help others in the future.

hopefully it won't happen again!!

#20 · (Edited)
There are grounds all over the car, so if you are losing complete power you would have to be losing positive voltage. I would go with cheaper solutions first. Switch battery with a friend or dealer if he his willing. If problem follows battery you know it's the battery. Even cheaper change the big fuse in the trunk even if it test good, tabs might be pitted and causing a bad contact. Next time it happens try to turn on dome light with switch at dome light because it is connected directly right to battery if it don't come on then you know for sure your losing the positive side of battery power.

Don't do both solutions at the same time because then you won't know which is your problem.

#22 · (Edited)
Start with that big fuse, just replace it. What can it cost? 5 bucks maybe and you don't need a mechanic to do it. Not expensive to elimate a possible problem.

#25 ·
sorry man, I really wish I could help. I would be super pissed if I took my ride to the dealer numerous times and they still could not solve a shutdown problem. Most likely it is a wiring issue, causing a short somewhere. These are the most difficult issues to pinpoint. But with a short usually comes a blown fuse somewhere. If you have no blown fuses the problem is even harder to pinpoint. Good luck and I hope you eventually fix the problem...

#26 ·
Went to the GM dealer again after a total shutdown, (at the direction of GM headquarters). The dealer was great they checked everything: Connections, Fuses, Wires, Wiring Harnesses, and the Computer Diagnostics (all on our dime). They found nothing wrong. I called GM Headquarter's back, was told SORRY FOR INCONVENIENCE but no codes were displayed that they could not help us. After a hour or so of of heated conversation they agreed to monitor the car( a device was installed to record data when the car shuts down again) IF this problem is worth monitoring GM should be doing it at their own risk and not at the RISK OF INJURY to my family. Come on GM DO THE RIGHT THING BEFORE SOMEONE GETS KILLED!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.