Power Door Locks Locking/Unlocking by Themselves - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 06:18 AM
Newcomer

Power Door Locks Locking/Unlocking by Themselves

posting this for a friend who has a 2008 cobalt, trying to get some help for him.

his power door locks are locking/unlocking all by themselves, with or without the ignition running. it's to the point that he cannot drive the car and i'm hoping i can help him with a fix.

from some basic searches it appears this may be an issue with the BCM:

My Car is Going Crazy Unlocking and Locking by Itself !

2008 chevy cobalt door locks keep locking and unloking on there - JustAnswer

does this sound correct? is this something i could help him out with by sourcing a used BCM from a salvage yard and replacing myself? i'm fairly familiar with ripping into car interiors as i do a lot of car audio stuff, and i'm confident i could get to the BCM to replace it if it's something i can simply swap out for a different one.

any help appreciated.

thanks!
- ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Forum Regular

I think the BCM is VIN specific so it would need reflashed to the car after you installed it. It is very easy to get to it is behind the passenger’s side kick panel. I think you might have to remove the cup holder and center console to get it out but haven't tried to before so I don't know for sure.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Before you tear it out try: Disconnecting the 2 blue connectors and re-seating them, this often clears a lot of problems with BCM. Especially C1.... Don't forget to disconnect battery first. If you have done stuff like this before you can also try cleaning connectors spraying dialectric grease( just a bit). BCM seldom goes bad.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Old 03-02-2012, 06:39 AM
Newcomer

thanks! he told me last night that it seems to have stopped - however, his driver's side door lock is not working. could it be the actuator or another simple problem instead?

appreciate the help!
- ben
Old 03-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Forum Regular

Does it look with the button inside? It could be a bad ground or just about any thing its all done through the BCM.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Forum Regular

Have your buddy replace the drivers side lock switch! I had this issue in mine (possessed while driving and parked), and the hubby replaced the switch (around $20 through dealers) over a year ago. I had absolutely no problems with possessed locks from the beginning of Feb of 2011 until the end of January 2012. (Can't tell you about beyond Feb 2012, because the car's been parked b/c of a bad engine knock since then, but the hubby replaced the same parts in 2 friends of mine's cars, and neither of them have had more problems either.)

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

I think it took the hubby MAYBE 15 minutes to tear my door panel apart, replace the switch, and put the door panel back together.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

I suppose it could be the BCM, but have him just replace the switch first. If it doesn't work, yeah, he's out the $20, but if it DOES he will save so much money. I'd seriously be almost willing to bet my next paycheck that it's just the lock switch. (And I get paid every 2 weeks and have a bonus on my next pay, so it's a pretty decent pay check! LOL!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread