Front Wheel Area Humming / Roaring Noise - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 06:44 AM
Newcomer

Front Wheel Area Humming / Roaring Noise

2009 Cobalt 4 door non ABS plain Jane 2.2L auto. 58K. Make’s a loud noise that sounds like a tire with the tread separating, moved the tires front to back no change. From the beginning, determined noise was from right front wheel so I replaced the bearing yesterday after the previous first step but that didn't fix the problem. Loud humming noise from front wheel or in that area, symptoms are; a loud humming noise at full song by 30 MPH from the passenger side (right hand) front wheel area. I have a sense of vibration but the steering wheel does not shake or vibrate. Bearing replacement didn't change the noise a bit, If I whip the wheel to the right noise subsides if to the left noise gets a little louder. The car drives straight, no clicking like a bad Constant Velocity Joint when turning either way. At speed (30MPH) I put it in neutral and there is no change, noise is still there while coasting, applying the brakes while coasting in neutral or in gear just slows the car doesn’t cause the noise to change.
Is there another bearing inboard on that side at the transaxle?
Don't know front wheel drive that well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Wheel bearing noise is very hard to pin-point from inside the car because it is all linked with solid metal. Noise that would appear to be coming from the right wheel could very well be coming from driver side. The best way to determine which bearing is bad is to put it up on the hoist start it up and with the stethoscope listen to each hub.

You were saying it get's louder when you turn left that is because all the weight falls on driver side bearing and it will get louder turn right all the weight falls on passenger bearing and you get less noise. This points to driver side bearing. Don't feel bad you won't be the first to change wrong bearing, like I said very hard to tell from inside the cabin.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 03-07-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

I'm not sure of what your plan of getting this looked into is, but if you decide to visit your GM dealership please let me know as I would like to available to help in any way I can. I understand that this isn't always an option, however.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 03-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Newcomer

Thanks, I have a stereoscope, will put the front up on jack stands and let it idle in gear to check it out. When I resolve this I’ll post up here to help the next person out, don’t like dangling unresolved issues.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Don't forget to pull the parkbrake lol

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Old 03-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Don't forget to pull the parkbrake lol
I chock the rear wheels,parking brakes aren't that reliable.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Expert

I had the same issue, I have no ABS though, but surely enough, I added one new wheel bearing and my noise went completely away, its such a nice feeling when you finally change that bad bearing, heavenly.

New Car: Chevy Impala 2011 LT Fully Loaded (Automatic)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread