Cylinder 3 Misfire and Service Traction - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 06:23 AM
Newcomer

Cylinder 3 Misfire and Service Traction

I've been having an issue for quite some time now, and have yet to find the solution. I've searched everywhere on here and the net in general trying to find a fix to these issues.

My car runs rough at idle, but smooth when up to speed. There is a CEL that came up as a cylinder 3 misfire. The Service Traction light also comes on and the vehicle shifts hard from first to second, and sometimes from second to third. Again, when the car gets up to speed, the shifting smooths out.

Here is a list of things I've done, (and approximate cost for those who want to do it themselves).

Cleaned Throttle Body - ~$5
Cleaned MAF Sensor - ~$8
Replaced Spark Plugs - ~$50 (plugs, socket, grease)
Replaced Fuel Injectors - ~$170 and approximately a pint of blood
Replaced Air Filter - ~$20

The things left on my to-do list are:

Fuel Filter - ~$30-70
Ignition Coils - ~$250 for all four

I think before I order ignition coils, I'm going to get a scanner and move the coils around to see if the misfire follows them. If not, I can rule out the coils.

Any other ideas? I'll keep this thread updated as I keep trying stuff.

EDIT: This is a 2009 with the 2.2

Last edited by cannonballgsu; 03-15-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Is your coolant dropping?

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 03-15-2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-15-2012, 07:35 AM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Is your coolant dropping?
No, Pretty much rules out a head gasket.

Last edited by cannonballgsu; 03-21-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Expert

Check out the fuel injectors too, they come off easily, just release the pressure from the valve, then remove them and inspect.

Its probably the coil though, if you want, you can pull the coil pack out and remove the boots, then have somebody turn the key several times and watch the coil pack for sparks, usually a trained eye is needed, but you should find out if your coil pack is shot.

If you have used Boshe platinum plus spark plugs consider your coil pack fried as these POS spark plugs will ruin your coil pack. Use ACDelco plugs only, or at least other branded ones that are not so hot, like autolite.

New Car: Chevy Impala 2011 LT Fully Loaded (Automatic)
Old 03-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Well then your on the right track with coil pack swap. Let us know if misfire follows coil.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnccc View Post
Check out the fuel injectors too, they come off easily, just release the pressure from the valve, then remove them and inspect.

Its probably the coil though, if you want, you can pull the coil pack out and remove the boots, then have somebody turn the key several times and watch the coil pack for sparks, usually a trained eye is needed, but you should find out if your coil pack is shot.

If you have used Boshe platinum plus spark plugs consider your coil pack fried as these POS spark plugs will ruin your coil pack. Use ACDelco plugs only, or at least other branded ones that are not so hot, like autolite.
I've actually already replaced the injectors - replaced them with AC Delco injectors from rock auto.

I had read that most plugs other than the AC Delco replacements were junk, so I replaced those with the same exact plug.

If I check the coils like you suggest, do I need to pull the fuel relay to keep the fuel pump from flooding the car while there is no spark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Well then your on the right track with coil pack swap. Let us know if misfire follows coil.
Will do - it will probably be the middle/end of next week because I just ordered a scantool. I've seen multiple threads like this that all address the same/similar problem that I'm having and I haven't found a solution in any of them, so I want to do a complete thread of me tracing the problem and hopefully fixing it.

The car is still under the powertrain warranty, but I know the dealer would want to change all this stuff I'm changing now first. That's why I'm doing it myself to save money (hopefully - may be wasting it for all I know). That's another reason I'm using all the same exact replacement parts.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Expert

Quote:
If I check the coils like you suggest, do I need to pull the fuel relay to keep the fuel pump from flooding the car while there is no spark?
I would, but its not really required, it would just cause a rough start the next time you start it, but it will burn off and be fine after that.

The best test honestly is to 'borrow' a coil pack from another cobalt that you know is working, if you can borrow one, then test it that way instead, if not, go ahead and do the visual inspection.

Powertrain warranty, that means they should fix this for free, I would simply take it to them to fix, you can probably get a new coil pack, genuine GM one too.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Powertrain warranty, that means they should fix this for free, I would simply take it to them to fix, you can probably get a new coil pack, genuine GM one too.
But then you avoid all the fun of trouble shooting.
I would just switch coil with let's say cylinder one and 3, reset code and wait to see if code follows coil to cylinder one. 2 connectors. If it does problem solved. Then you can bring it to GM and have them replace the coil at their cost. At least you get the satisfaction of knowing what was wrong and finding the problem yourself.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Expert

True, but some don't have as much fun problem solving like us.

I'm assuming you do not have the standard ecotec 2.2 engine, correct?

You do mention switching the coils around, I just don't see how this is possible with the ecotec...

Old 03-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
You do mention switching the coils around, I just don't see how this is possible with the ecotec...
What do you mean, they sit right on top of the plugs.
Attached Thumbnails
Cylinder 3 Misfire and Service Traction-ignition-coil-replacement-1.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread