Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Code P0010 & P011. Easy Fix?

66K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  lkd2009 
#1 ·
Can anyone guide me in the direction of how to fix both issues.
What tools do I need?
Should I order the crankshaft & camshaft sensors both or how can I find out how to fix this without going to the dealership.

What intake solenoid piece do I need?

Yes, I am a newbie to cars.

:thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Does your engine start? What year? What engine? How many miles? Did you hear timing chain noise lately?

#3 ·
Sorry. 2009 Cobalt LT 2.2L about 67K . Timing chain should be fine and engine always starts. I took it to a shop and they said it could be the intake solenoid but I don't trust dealerships. Just had an oil & transmission change on it recently.

#4 ·
Transmission change or transmission Oil change?

#6 · (Edited)
I'm going to check into this intake solenoïd and come back. That's a new one to me but I'm familiar with the 07. GM server is not the fastest and still runs on XP so give me an hour.

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

Circuit/System Description
The camshaft position (CMP) actuator is attached to each camshaft and is hydraulically operated in order to change the angle of the camshaft relative to crankshaft position (CKP). The CMP actuator solenoid is controlled by the control module. The control module sends a pulse width modulated 12-volt signal to a CMP actuator solenoid. The solenoid controls the amount of engine oil flow to a CMP actuator. The CMP actuator can change the camshaft angle a maximum of 25 degrees. The control module increases the pulse width to accomplish the desired camshaft operation.

---------- Post added at 07:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

I'm learning with you here.....

Camshaft Position (CMP) Actuator System
The camshaft position (CMP) actuator system is an electro-hydraulic operated device used for a variety of engine performance and operational enhancements. These enhancements include lower emission output through exhaust gas dilution of the intake charge in the combustion chamber, a broader engine torque range, and improved fuel economy. The CMP actuator system accomplishes this by changing the angle or timing of the camshaft relative to the crankshaft position. The CMP actuator simply allows earlier or later intake and exhaust valve opening during the four stroke engine cycle. The CMP actuator cannot vary the duration of valve opening, or the valve lift.

During engine OFF, engine idling conditions, and engine shutdown, the camshaft actuator is held in the Park position. Internal to the CMP actuator assembly is a return spring and a locking pin. During non-phasing modes of the camshaft, the return spring rotates the camshaft back to the Park position, and the locking pin retains the CMP actuator sprocket to the camshaft.

CMP Actuator System Operation
The camshaft position (CMP) actuator system is controlled by the engine control module (ECM). The ECM sends a signal to a CMP actuator solenoid in order to control the amount of engine oil flow to a Cam Actuator passage. The pressurized engine oil is sent to unseat the locking pin, and to the vane and rotor assembly of the CMP actuator. There are 2 different passages for oil to flow through, a passage for cam advance and a passage for cam retard. The Cam Actuator is attached to a camshaft and is hydraulically operated in order to change the angle of the camshaft relative to crankshaft position (CKP). Engine oil pressure (EOP), viscosity, temperature and engine oil level can have an adverse affect on Cam Actuator performance.

---------- Post added at 07:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 07:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

Hope this helps you understand. Helped me anyways. If this happened since last oil change maybe they didn't use the recommended oil grade even if it was done at a dealership.

#8 ·
I think your engine uses 0W20 where ours 5W30. Check to make sure, it could have been an honest mistake.

#9 ·
why would a 2007 2.2 use 0w20 and mine (2005) and my friends (2009) use 5w30?

#10 ·
Don't know for sure why the difference yet but I'm investigating, my 07 uses 5W30, but one of my friends has a 2010 2.2L, but his is a LAP engine, and it says right on the oil filler cap 0W20. It's not TC or SC. airjrg who started the thread has a LAP but it's a 2009 and he hasn't checked in to let us know if his requires 0W20 or 5W30.

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

This is what the 2009 manual says, I don't have the 2010 manual. Can't see it would be different.

"What Kind of Engine Oil to Use For Vehicles With the 2.2L L4 Engine

Look for three things:
• GM6094M
Use only an oil that meets GM Standard GM6094M.
• SAE 5W-30
SAE 5W-30 is best for the vehicle. These numbers on an oil container show its viscosity, or thickness. Do not use other viscosity oils such as SAE 20W-50.

• American Petroleum Institute (API) starburst symbol
Oils meeting these requirements should have the starburst symbol on the container. This symbol indicates that the oil has been certified by the American Petroleum Institute (API).

#11 ·
my oil cap says 5w30 and thats what is used!

#12 ·
I just thought they might have put a heavier oil, causing his cam hydraulics to be slower to react and giving him the DTCs.

#13 ·
are these motors really that finicky with the oil they use? I've put heavier/lighter oils in other vehicles without problems. Mind you not the extreme (i.e 80w90, etc)

#14 ·
Myself I find 5W30 a bit light in the summer, I find the valvetrain noisy. But the manual states that for the LAP motor 0W30 should be used in the cold winter months and not to go with heavier oil than stated in the summer, which is 5W30. All because of the hydraulic cam advance/retard actuators that might not perform as designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.