2006 Cobalt SS/SC Engine Power Reduced? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13
2006 Cobalt SS/SC Engine Power Reduced?

I have had my Engine power reduced warning come on twice, the first time was when I switched gears from second to third going up a hill and the second time I was in fourth gear and punched the throttle a bit, when this happens I can not get my rpm's to rise at all it just putters when I give it gas, when I unhook the battery and hook it back up the car starts and runs fine, I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the motor it's self because it runs VERY nice and I have tried red lining it in neutral a bit and it does not have this problem when I do so, I am thinking it might be the tranny or clutch but I really dont know a whole lot about this type of stuff, I am probably going to bring it to a chevy dealer but just wanted to know if anyone on here can help me out and give me an idea to what this may be ?
BumbleBeeBalt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 584
Garage
Use the search option please, I know there is multiple people that have had this problem and fixed it.

[Insert signature here]

Last edited by white balt; 07-20-2012 at 11:21 AM.
white balt is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member


 
Coby7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick
Posts: 10,872
Garage
Do you have a check engine light on? Check the code. But my guess dirty fuel filter or possibly throttle actuator acting up. Hard to tell from here.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Even if you don't have a CEL you can check for pending codes or history.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2007 Cashmere metalic Cobalt LS Sedan 2.2L auto 1G1AJ55F977161789


Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Coby7 is online now  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert
 
ChevyCustSvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeBalt View Post
I have had my Engine power reduced warning come on twice, the first time was when I switched gears from second to third going up a hill and the second time I was in fourth gear and punched the throttle a bit, when this happens I can not get my rpm's to rise at all it just putters when I give it gas, when I unhook the battery and hook it back up the car starts and runs fine, I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the motor it's self because it runs VERY nice and I have tried red lining it in neutral a bit and it does not have this problem when I do so, I am thinking it might be the tranny or clutch but I really dont know a whole lot about this type of stuff, I am probably going to bring it to a chevy dealer but just wanted to know if anyone on here can help me out and give me an idea to what this may be ?
Keep us posted on your visit to the dealership, BumbleBeeBalt. If I can be of any assistance be sure to let me know.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
ChevyCustSvc is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Do you have a check engine light on? Check the code. But my guess dirty fuel filter or possibly throttle actuator acting up. Hard to tell from here.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Even if you don't have a CEL you can check for pending codes or history.

The check engine light did come on and stay on after I unhooked the battery, and hooked it back up, but once I parked it for the night the next morning the check engine light was gone. How do I go about checking pending codes and history ? I am thinking about going and buying a CEL tonight or tomorrow..
BumbleBeeBalt is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member


 
Coby7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick
Posts: 10,872
Garage
Every OBDII reader is different but when you connect your OBDII reader you will get a menu something like "check engine codes" or "list dtc". Once you do this you will have a choice of 3 different record, Existing code, pending and history. Choose history and read code and jot it down before you clear codes.
It should be a P**** code for powertrain.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2007 Cashmere metalic Cobalt LS Sedan 2.2L auto 1G1AJ55F977161789


Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Coby7 is online now  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Every OBDII reader is different but when you connect your OBDII reader you will get a menu something like "check engine codes" or "list dtc". Once you do this you will have a choice of 3 different record, Existing code, pending and history. Choose history and read code and jot it down before you clear codes.
It should be a P**** code for powertrain.
Alright thanks for the help, greatly appreciated!!! I am going to go and get one tomorrow, and get to the bottom of this!
BumbleBeeBalt is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member


 
Coby7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick
Posts: 10,872
Garage
I just bought a bluetooth one that works real good with the Torque Android App, on the Cobalt, from ebay from this seller. I know this one works I use it all the time. Got mine for $12.

Mini ELM327 Car Bluetooth V1.5 OBD2 OBDII auto Diagnostic Scanner adapter tool | eBay

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2007 Cashmere metalic Cobalt LS Sedan 2.2L auto 1G1AJ55F977161789


Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 07-16-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Coby7 is online now  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2
same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeBalt View Post
I have had my Engine power reduced warning come on twice, the first time was when I switched gears from second to third going up a hill and the second time I was in fourth gear and punched the throttle a bit, when this happens I can not get my rpm's to rise at all it just putters when I give it gas, when I unhook the battery and hook it back up the car starts and runs fine, I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the motor it's self because it runs VERY nice and I have tried red lining it in neutral a bit and it does not have this problem when I do so, I am thinking it might be the tranny or clutch but I really dont know a whole lot about this type of stuff, I am probably going to bring it to a chevy dealer but just wanted to know if anyone on here can help me out and give me an idea to what this may be ?
i have the same problem. when it happened before i would just turn the car off and turned it back on and it was fine...but this time when the hud came up i turned it off, back on again and now it acting real funny. i get no power from the supercharger and at some points the rpms will just start going up by its self...taking it to a shop today
rebel penguin65 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert
 
ChevyCustSvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 794
Hope all goes well with your shop today, rebel penguin65. If it's one of our GM dealerships, don't hesitate to get in touch should you need anything (private message would probably be best - be sure to include the last 8 of your VIN).

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
ChevyCustSvc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome