Help Plz! No Sound from Stereo at All - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 07:32 AM
Newcomer

Help Plz! No Sound from Stereo at All

I recently had a massive soda spillage all over the driver seat/wheel/dashboard. The radio turns on, but no sound comes from any speaker in the car. The blinkers still function but no ticking sound. Just like to know what im going to need to have replaced. thanks in advance

p.s. yes, i do see it as a possibility that the door speaker may be damaged, but then that wouldn't explain why i don't have any sound emitting from any other speaker. so weather the speaker is blown, or the wire harness is dirty, nothing seems to solve the stereo issue. the stereo itself seems to function fine. There's just no sound from any speaker. fuse i should check? please any and all ideas are welcome

-Cory
09 chevy cobalt LS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Staff Alumni

Help Plz! No Sound from Stereo at All

Check all the fuses first.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-11-2013, 04:58 AM
Newcomer

Was not a fuse, pretty sure its the head unit itself. wont know until i switch the stereo out and try a different one.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:19 AM
Staff Alumni

I don't know if the stock headunits have it or not but the aftermarket decks have a speaker fuse on the back, worth taking a look at.
2005 Cobalt LS coupe - 8000k hids/l.e.d reverse lights/Debadged/GMPP intake/GMPP Performance catback/Kenwood indash dvd/Stock pioneer sub/Alpine 6.5's/Alpine 6x9's/Pioneer GM-7500M amplifier/Led dome light Sold to my brother
2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - Korean designed, American made, with an engine designed in Italy, built by Germans and mated to a Japanese transmission.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:23 AM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by money_man View Post
I don't know if the stock headunits have it or not but the aftermarket decks have a speaker fuse on the back, worth taking a look at.
yeah, sadly no fuse. opened the unit itself. hit it with pcb power wash too. must be fried.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:46 AM
Staff Alumni

oh well, time for a kenwood dvd indash
2005 Cobalt LS coupe - 8000k hids/l.e.d reverse lights/Debadged/GMPP intake/GMPP Performance catback/Kenwood indash dvd/Stock pioneer sub/Alpine 6.5's/Alpine 6x9's/Pioneer GM-7500M amplifier/Led dome light Sold to my brother
2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - Korean designed, American made, with an engine designed in Italy, built by Germans and mated to a Japanese transmission.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:04 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
^ this! My factory radio was stuck on CD Saturday, and I punched it. Needless to say it didn't fix it and I broke the screen. So I bought an Avic D3 Sunday. Hoping to install it soon. I have sounds but no control over the radio, and it's stuck on CD :/.

My Stepbrother is having the same issue as you in his 08 Sport. No sound, even the blinker noise. everything else seems normal. I have to look at that this upcoming weekend, let us know if you figure it out!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:16 AM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6rally View Post
My Stepbrother is having the same issue as you in his 08 Sport. No sound, even the blinker noise. everything else seems normal. I have to look at that this upcoming weekend, let us know if you figure it out!
thats what i cant figure out. i bet even if you replace the display it still wont play

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

im about to replace the whole stereo with the same unit this week. love the stock 09 -2010 gm radio.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If you have the uplevel pioneer radio the amp has a separate fuse from the radio.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Old 03-15-2013, 05:05 AM
Newcomer

<solved> well because i couldnt wait till this week where id have time to pick up a new radio, i used my tech background and opened the radio and checked all the capacitors, looked for burn marks. and i found nothing but soda residue on the pcb mainboard. I wentout and purchased some power wash(link below) and its really a miracle product. i used to clean iphone and ipod motherboards with it all the time at work. Sure as shit, i put it back together after a good power wash and all is fixed. saved me buying a new radio. I just wanted to pass this information down to the next person with a soda/water damaged radio. BUY THIS SHIT! Coat the mainboard in the spray (be fast it air drys very fast) and scrub with a dry toothbrush till residue of the spill is gone. </solved>
-cheers-

Precision Electronics Cleaner - RadioShack.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
stereo broken blinker