Possible Rod Knock - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Newcomer

Possible Rod Knock

06 Cobalt LS. 98K. Recently (within the last month) had scheduled oil change. About a week ago, car developed a small tapping noise under acceleration. Deceleration and idle produces no audible noise. No loss of power. Car idles at about 500 rpms. Noise does not start until close to 1500 rpms and will be heard from 1500-2500 range in the first three gears. High gear, it can only be heard below 2500 rpms. Noise will rise in pitch and tempo along with the rpm range but goes away once it passes 2500 rpms in high gear. Check engine light goes on and off on it's own. Had the codes checked. Came back with knock sensor and engine lean sensor. Replaced air filter and cleaned the mass air flow sensor. No change. Could this be lifters, or could this be the beginnings of a serious rod bearing issue. Budget is tight so I'm trying to do the less costly fixes first if possible. Brother-in-law is former mechanic and he thought it was a dirty filter or MAF sensor since the noise could not be heard at idle and there was no loss of power. Also he felt that way because it only occurred during those rpms. Since new air filter and cleaning of MAF sensor engine light has not come on but noise remains the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 04:07 AM
Expert

If it were rod knocking, it occurs even at idle. That is rather low for idle on any car. If your car is in the lean fuel setting, sounds like a Heated O2 sensor or catalyic converter is about toast.

Since your car is in "open loop" status, your PCM is on running on KAM (Keep Alive Memory) (learning this now at school *UTi*). That is whats causing your car to idle a bit low, but its doing its operation once detected a voltage malfunction through a sensor. That tapping could be either a cam knock sensor or crankshaft knock sensor. I cant pinpoint without actually mechanically diagnosing the car, but for Generic OBD II scanners, it will point you towards what system(s) are affected.

I hope this helps and you should have it checked out by a GM certified technician, not a mechanic.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberVeteran

Welcome to the forum, savy_04.

I see that you already are working with somebody to get this checked into - are they affiliated with a GM dealership? It's okay if not, but if they are and if you want for me to check into anything as a GM Customer Service Representative, please let me know!

Sarah, GM Customer Service
Have you checked into the new Owners Center? You can maintain service history and check on warranty or recall information, among other things. Visit https://my.chevrolet.com/web/portal/managemybrand?g=1
Old 03-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Subforum Moderator
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
Subforum Moderator

Garage
does it happen after it's at optimal temp?
Old 03-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Newcomer

Thanks for the welcome. To answer the last question, it does not change even at optimal operating temp. It doesn't get better or worse the longer the car runs. And based on temp gauges it is not overheating.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Subforum Moderator
Subforum Moderator

Garage
can you get a video of it?
Old 03-17-2013, 06:56 AM
Levee
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
Not a rod bearing or it would continue that sound throughout the entire rpm band. Have the car running and have a friend help you by keeping the car above an idle and listen. Where is the sound coming from? Is it a deep sound like a diesel or a higher sound like a lifter? More info on the sound is needed for more diagnosis.
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, Ported Garrett GT4088R JB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

Future mods - lowering springs/coilovers, 18" rims wrapped with 265/40/18 Hankook RS3s, Short throw shifter, TRE Ultimate Ratio 5spd Trans with 4.11 Final out, TRE LSD upgraded Transfer Case, and TRE Upgraded Rear LSD Differential, 5 pt harness w/ harness bar
Blew it up after 1k miles from jumping timing. Going for 1k whp now
New numbers coming soon!

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Cobalt Mag Subscription! Check it out!

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
Old 03-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Newcomer

Well I have an update. Went to the grocery store today. Car sounds the same but now I can hear a deeper knocking at idle after the car reached its destination. When I left the store the idle knocking did not exist but upon my return to the house the idle knocking could be heard. It's odd because when going through the rpm's it sounds like a lifter. But when the sound is made under idle, it sounds deeper like a rod. Car hasn't lost any performance but was wondering what my options would be? Should I start searching at junkyards and online for used engines now? If I'm hearing a deeper knocking sound at idle once the car has been running is it a signal that the end is near?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Subforum Moderator
Subforum Moderator

Garage
pull your valve cover and see how tight your timing chain is. could be your tensioner
Old 03-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankerBalt View Post
pull your valve cover and see how tight your timing chain is. could be your tensioner
Thanks. I'll try that this week before I run the car again. Budget is really tight so I'm trying to eliminate all the cheap quick fixes first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
engine noise, rod knock