P0304 Misfire Code. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Newcomer

P0304 Misfire Code.

We have a 2009 Cobalt and the CEL is always coming on with the PO304 (misfire #4). We have had the spark plugs replaced, the coil packs, the fuel injectors, did a compression test (was fine) and cleaned the system out, replaced the intake manifold gasket (was leaking) and it still constantly comes up with this code. The car runs fine, but idles bad. Especially with the A/C on. We have tried everything! I'm tired of dumping money into this car. Has anyone else had this problem or have any insight as to what it may be and how to fix it??? I'm at my wits end and my wife is ready to kill me if I don't fix this for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
This might be an obvious solution but have you had the light turned off? I have the same issue when AC is on, but no light. Maybe you fixed but never turned the light out.

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
Old 04-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Newcomer

Yes, I have reset it each time after doing something to it. But thanks, sometimes it is something simple. Also, the service traction off light constantly comes on with the CEL. Very frustrating!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I would think that you might have an ECM that is going bad or at minimum needs a reflash. You can turn off the traction control by pulling the ebrake up one notch from what I've heard.

99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
Old 04-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Newcomer

A reflash? How do I do that? Thanks.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Unless you have a tech 2 you would have to go to your dealership to have this done. A primative version would be to unplug your battery for 15 minutes, but it's not the exact same. Your local dealership should be able to reflash the PCM easily, but I'm not sure as to the cost associated.

Here is some info I found useful:

For example, on certain GM vehicles the Check Engine light comes on and sets a code P1406 that indicates a fault in the position of the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve. Cleaning or replacing the EGR valve and clearing the code does not fix the vehicle because the code usually returns. The real problem is the OBD II programming in the PCM. When the PCM commands the EGR valve to open to check its operation, it isn't allowing enough time for the valve to respond. A brand new valve takes only about 50 milliseconds to open but an older valve may take up to 350 milliseconds or longer - which is not long enough to cause a real NOx emissions failure but is long enough to trip a fault code. The fix in this instance is to reflash the PCM with new instructions that allow more time for the EGR valve to respond.

Another example are rich codes that may appear on some late-model GM vehicles. The problem here is that the original OBD II self-diagnostic programming does not allow enough leeway for changes in intake vacuum that occur as the engine ages. After 60,000 miles, intake vacuum isn't as high as in a new engine, which can create a rich fuel condition. The cure is to flash reprogram the PCM to compensate for the drop in vacuum.

99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
Old 04-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Newcomer

Thanks for the info! That's what I thought you meant by it and I did unhook the battery for about 30 min to hopefully reset the computer. That didn't work either, but like you said, it's a primative way and not exactly like the dealer would do. The car has 69,000 miles on it.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Without knowing the car and being able to check it out I wouldn't be much assistance. We have a memeber that knows the electrical systems better than most. Hopefully he will have some insight for you, but that is about the only thing I can think of if you have already fixed the assumed problem and cleared the codes.

99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
Old 04-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Staff Alumni

Does your antifreeze go down? could possibly be the head gasket leaking on cyl 1. Yes they will leak into the cyl and still show good compression
2005 Cobalt LS coupe - 8000k hids/l.e.d reverse lights/Debadged/GMPP intake/GMPP Performance catback/Kenwood indash dvd/Stock pioneer sub/Alpine 6.5's/Alpine 6x9's/Pioneer GM-7500M amplifier/Led dome light Sold to my brother
2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - Korean designed, American made, with an engine designed in Italy, built by Germans and mated to a Japanese transmission.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I think you have a lot of borderline problems causing this DTC to set. Idle speed too low, weak or older battery, dirty throttle body,throttle up signal from "BCM" and possibly your ECM control voltage for cylinder 4. Check battery voltage with engine off, a good battery will read between 12.3 and 12.8, then measure voltage at idle speed after warm-up it should read 14.3 approx.
If changing the plugs and coils did nothing then it must be voltage related and the weakess link is first to set a code ( in this case cylinder 4 )

DTC P0304
DTC P0304: Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

Circuit/System Description
The engine control module (ECM) uses information from the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor in order to determine when an engine misfire is occurring and uses information from the camshaft position (CMP) sensor in order to determine which cylinder is misfiring. By monitoring variations in the crankshaft rotation speed for each cylinder, the ECM is able to detect individual misfire events. If the ECM detects a misfire rate sufficient to cause emission levels to exceed mandated standards, DTC P0300 sets. Under certain driving conditions, a misfire rate can be high enough to cause the 3-way catalytic converter (TWC) to overheat, possibly damaging the converter. The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will flash ON and OFF when converter overheating, damaging conditions are present and DTC P0300 is set. DTCs P0304 correspond to cylinders 4. If the ECM is able to determine that a specific cylinder is misfiring, the DTC for that cylinder will set.

Conditions for Running the DTC
• DTCs P0121, P0122, P0123, P0221, P0222, P0223, P0335, P0336, or P0338 are not set.

• The engine speed is between 420-7,000 RPM.

• The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is greater than -30C (-22F).

• The fuel level is more than 11 percent.

• The ECM is not in fuel shut-off or decel fuel cut-off mode.

• The ECT is less than 47C (117F).

• DTCs, P0304 run continuously when the above conditions are met.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 04-05-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread