Strange Drivetrain Noise - Page 2 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberVeteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy balt View Post
Well, at 42,200 the noise I was hearing is coming from the final drive. The car needs a new transmission already.NOT COOL!

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

I tried to PM you Cust Svc, but I don't have enough posts. Car is at Findlay Chevrolet in Las Vegas, NV. Billy Chang is service writer. This is unacceptable.
I will send you a private message. You should be able to respond to it. I apologize for the issue that you are experiencing. I will do everything that I can to assist you in getting this issue resolved.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care
Have you checked into the new Owners Center? You can maintain service history and check on warranty or recall information, among other things. Visit https://my.chevrolet.com/web/portal/managemybrand?g=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Newcomer

Here's the end of this one. Since the 5/100 warranty had very recently expired by time, and the vehicle was well under mileage, GM covered 90% of repair. Last week I was told by the service writer that a remanned transmission would be installed. I picked up the car today, and was told they were directed to rebuild the broken trans. According to the tech notes, a gear had chipped which damaged many other hard parts, and sent a large amount of debris through the trans. Thats bad news for an auto. Im grateful they addressed the issue, but don't like the fact it was rebuilt after such a serious failure, nor the fact I wasn't told it was rebuilt, instead of replaced, until I picked it up. I don't have any faith this rebuild will last any longer than the original. This car is getting sold. Adios Chevy.

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

For those wondering why I'm still unhappy, learn what metal contamination can do to an auto. This rebuild could last 100k, or die in 10k. It all depends on how thorough, and meticulous the rebuild tech was. Reman vendors typically have stricter quality control than field techs. Only time will tell, and I have no patience for the uncertainty.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If this repair only cost you 10% I would run it until it died. If it last you 3 years,it is 3 years without car payments.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Old 06-04-2013, 03:49 AM
Staff Alumni

I wouldn't worry about a reman transmission. Its basically like new anyway. If you think a new transmission cant/wont have any problems then you haven't dealt with enough transmissions.

A month and a half ago I put a brand new gm transmission into a 2006 Silverado with a 4l60E. With the new transmission in we couldn't get first/overdrive. It was showing a code for solenoid A, so the trans was going into limp mode. This should never have happened with a brand new trans but just because parts are new doesn't mean they'll be perfect
2005 Cobalt LS coupe - 8000k hids/l.e.d reverse lights/Debadged/GMPP intake/GMPP Performance catback/Kenwood indash dvd/Stock pioneer sub/Alpine 6.5's/Alpine 6x9's/Pioneer GM-7500M amplifier/Led dome light Sold to my brother
2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - Korean designed, American made, with an engine designed in Italy, built by Germans and mated to a Japanese transmission.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
If this repair only cost you 10% I would run it until it died. If it last you 3 years,it is 3 years without car payments.
A car payment won't kill me. I don't have any now. I was going to give this car to my daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by money_man View Post
I wouldn't worry about a reman transmission. Its basically like new anyway. If you think a new transmission cant/wont have any problems then you haven't dealt with enough transmissions.

A month and a half ago I put a brand new gm transmission into a 2006 Silverado with a 4l60E. With the new transmission in we couldn't get first/overdrive. It was showing a code for solenoid A, so the trans was going into limp mode. This should never have happened with a brand new trans but just because parts are new doesn't mean they'll be perfect
I've dealt with enough cars/trucks/machines to know brand new equipment can fail. Machines break down. I've dealt with enough trannys to know that the metal debris after a failure can destroy a new one in short order. Some manufacturers require trans cooler line and cooler replacement mandatory after a new or rebuilt tranny is installed, because flushing can't guarantee adequate protection from contaminating the new unit. Have you ever heard of that?

When I was told the diagnosis was bad tranny, I was also told that it should be REPLACED with new(remanned). Shop rebuild wasn't offered. Under the circumstances, I wouldn't have agreed to pay for a full rebuild either. I had agreed to have it replaced for $3K, and also told the SA I wanted the failed hard parts given back to me, and the tear down documented since I was paying for it. That's when the SA said he'd make some calls. Came back and said new tranny would be 90% covered. I know he could have told me to pound sand, so don't think I'm not grateful. I told him I appreciate that, thank you, and let me know when it's finished. Upon pick-up it was disclosed a rebuild was performed. That wasn't good enough when it was my money, but it's good enough when it's not.

I'm not trying to make a mountain of a molehill, but there was a breakdown in communication between the SA and myself which affected the decision I made. I had previously agreed to pay for a new tranny already. Just because somethings cheaper, doesn't mean I want it. That's the bottom line, and what's done is done. Depending on the quality of the rebuild and flush, chances are this tranny will see shorter than average service life. Convince me it's not a crap shoot. My wife and daughter use this vehicle. They live in our house in rural UT, which is 250 miles away from where I live during the week. I commute on the weekends. With this arrangement, vehicle reliability is very important to me. I perform the regular maintenance on all our vehicles myself so I know when/what/how things have been done. If you're a tech and were in this situation, would you have it rebuilt by someone else, or put in a reman even though it cost more? Here's a copy of the service ticket. There was a lot of metal in there.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:16 AM
Staff Alumni

I see exactly what you're saying. I would be bitter as well. If you are extremely nervous you could install one of the inline trans filters (all of the rebuilds we put in come with one). I would also change the trans filter within say 3,000 miles and rip it open and inspect it just to be sure.

---------- Post added at 07:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

Maybe its just me but that doesn't say anything about replacing the torque converter....if there is any good amount of metal in any transmission we pull out we replace the tq converter.
2005 Cobalt LS coupe - 8000k hids/l.e.d reverse lights/Debadged/GMPP intake/GMPP Performance catback/Kenwood indash dvd/Stock pioneer sub/Alpine 6.5's/Alpine 6x9's/Pioneer GM-7500M amplifier/Led dome light Sold to my brother
2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - Korean designed, American made, with an engine designed in Italy, built by Germans and mated to a Japanese transmission.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:05 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by money_man View Post
I see exactly what you're saying. I would be bitter as well. If you are extremely nervous you could install one of the inline trans filters (all of the rebuilds we put in come with one). I would also change the trans filter within say 3,000 miles and rip it open and inspect it just to be sure.

---------- Post added at 07:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

Maybe its just me but that doesn't say anything about replacing the torque converter....if there is any good amount of metal in any transmission we pull out we replace the tq converter.
^^^ this right here =)
Old 06-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Expert

They took your car for a joy ride.

2010 Cobalt 2LT Sports Package
ZZPerformance Intake Tube
55 Watt 5K Hi/Lo HID's
Black SS 17" Wheels
Debadged
Spyder 3" Carbon Fiber Antenna
2 10" MTX Subs
Pioneer 760 Watt amp
Red Calipers
Coming up:
18x8 KMC Rockstar Matte Black Wheels
ZZP Catback
Old 06-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Contributor

Garage
hey my car makes this kind of noise hard to explain but lets say if im doin 60 mph and in 5th gear if i wanna speed up to switch lanes to pass someone it makes this ratteling like noise i thought it maybe to be the heat sheild but idk yet idk how to tell
Old 06-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberVeteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhollister View Post
hey my car makes this kind of noise hard to explain but lets say if im doin 60 mph and in 5th gear if i wanna speed up to switch lanes to pass someone it makes this ratteling like noise i thought it maybe to be the heat sheild but idk yet idk how to tell
Have you been to your dealer yet? I recommend that you consider personally road testing your vehicle with the Service Manager going with you so you can demonstrate the noise you are experiencing. This way, before anyone exits the car, it is perfectly clear what you are referring to. The Service Manager then can provide you with his/her recommendation regarding fixing the source of the noise. Hope this is helpful.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care
Have you checked into the new Owners Center? You can maintain service history and check on warranty or recall information, among other things. Visit https://my.chevrolet.com/web/portal/managemybrand?g=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread