06 Cobalt PROBLEM - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 01:27 PM
Newcomer

06 Cobalt PROBLEM

I have a 2006 Cobalt LT 2.2L, 5-Speed. A few weeks ago I got a check engine light and auto zone told me it was a gas cap. I purchased a new one, put it on, unhooked the battery to turn off the light but the light came back on 56 miles later. I then took it back to autozone and they gave me a P0442 (small EVAP leak) and then reset/erased the code. For the last 4 days the light hasn't came on (150+ miles) but now I'm getting a STRONG gas smell and EXTREMELY reduced mileage. 79 miles on a half tank to be exact. I checked for leaks but nothing. Also, if i get in and try to crank it right up, it takes 4-10 seconds to start but if I turn the key to the ON position for about 1-2 seconds prior to starting, it fires right up. I am also getting a black sut from the exhaust pipe but it doesn't smoke while running. SO CONFUSED and about to drive it to NY from FL in a few days. ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Last edited by Lehman1983; 09-29-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Did you polish the gas filler neck lip where the rubber gas cap rubber gasket seats? Apply a little bit of grease or vaseline on rubber gasket.

If you disconnected the battery to reset the code you also reset the trip odometer which would explain the lower miles to half a tank. So don't worry for your trip to NY.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Old 09-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Newcomer

Thanks, I'll try to see if I can check out the neck of my fill nozzle and the gasket on the cap..The 79 miles to a half tank was just that, sory for the misunderstanding...I noticed the mileage drop later. Two days ago I filled up and reset my trip to 0.00 like I always do so I can track my mileage. 79 miles later, I was on half a tank with no battery disconnect after the fill up. The gas is going somewhere, just don't know why it's running so rich.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Subforum Moderator
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
Subforum Moderator

Garage
Gm had a recall regarding the tank spilling gas. Check lines from the gas tank and make sure there also isn't a leak out of the fuel rail and injector seals

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Newcomer

Thanks..I checked the rail already and it had no leaks. I didn't think of the injectors though. Come to think of it, that may be the source, the smell of gas is coming mainly from under the hood.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberVeteran

Hey Lehman1983 send me your VIN and current mileage by private message if you want me to run your VIN for recalls. Have a safe trip!

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care
Have you checked into the new Owners Center? You can maintain service history and check on warranty or recall information, among other things. Visit https://my.chevrolet.com/web/portal/managemybrand?g=1
Old 09-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Subforum Moderator
Subforum Moderator

Garage
Your injector seals probably need replacing. Super simple

Old 09-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Newcomer

Great, thanks BankerBalt I'll check it out. Is that why i'm not seeing a leak? If the injector seals are bad wouldn't the gas I'm losing be in a mist form, thus not producing the usual drip effect?
Old 09-29-2013, 06:12 PM
Subforum Moderator
Subforum Moderator

Garage
I'm not there, so idk. I had a fuel injector pop off on me once, that sucked lol. But even if its not spewing fuel, that doesn't mean the fumes can't creep out of the seals. So take em off. The fuel rail is just two 10mm bolts, just pop it off and pull out the seals to inspect

Old 09-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Newcomer

I misspoke earlier when I said I checked the rail, I actually checked the line from the tank. Where is my rail located? Do I need to take any precautions prior to checking it while Running, off, relays etc? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread