How's Your Cobalt Holding Up? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 03:35 AM
Contributor

How's Your Cobalt Holding Up?

I think it's helpful to hear other Cobalt owner experiences...started a thread a few years back that got lots of responses. It's been a while so I'm polling again for how your Cobalt is holding up.

I have 47k (US) on mine, or there abouts. Had an issue with the ignition early on (it needed to be replaced), had some water inside one of the headlight lenses (probably due to me hosing down the engine) which I was able to clear out with a drinking straw and a hair dryer ....and I had some trouble with the fuel injectors getting gummed up (probably bought a load of bad gas) that was fixed with a visit to the dealer and several gas treatments.

All in all, the car has been pretty much a home run for me. Even the tires are holding up well, although I'll probably replace them next fall before the snow starts. It's not a Ferarri but for the price, I have no complaints...well....it could do a little better on gas mileage.
2013 Kubota M5640 SUD

Last edited by keegs; 12-31-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 04:09 AM
Staff Alumni

I now have 157k km on mine and I bought it with 110k km two years ago this march. Other than maintenance ( brakes, o2 sensors, fluids, tires) I've done my right front wheel bearing, water pump, and sway bar links and bushings and a rear coil spring.

Considering the car was neglected when I got it I don't feel that's to bad. Its been over a year since my last problem arose ( water pump). I recommend cobalts to everyone because they're cheap and reliable.
2005 Cobalt LS coupe - 8000k hids/l.e.d reverse lights/Debadged/GMPP intake/GMPP Performance catback/Kenwood indash dvd/Stock pioneer sub/Alpine 6.5's/Alpine 6x9's/Pioneer GM-7500M amplifier/Led dome light Sold to my brother
2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - Korean designed, American made, with an engine designed in Italy, built by Germans and mated to a Japanese transmission.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Took a drive in mine yesterday, my daughters drive it mostly, it now has 97,000Kms bought it at 23,745. It has a rebuilt title. It still runs like the day I bought it or better. I replaced both rear coil springs (they broke), fuel pressure sensor, timing chain tensionner (preventative maintenance), replaced noisy serpentine idler bearing (preventative maintenance), both end-links, (preventative maintenance) passenger side front wheel bearing (twice),replaced burnt DRL loop, repainted bottom of both front doors, repaired shifter. It's been a very good car considering that it was written "OFF" twice by previous owners.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 12-31-2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:32 AM
Veteran

Haven't had my cobalt as long as you guys. Just around 7 months and the only issues I've had was my gas gauge not reading correctly (fixed itself after a couple of fill ups) and had to get a new battery. Just need to get new front brakes and rotors and replace the serpentine belt and I'm all good. Much more reliable car than my civic which is good because this was my first gm vehicle and my parents have had nothing but bad luck with gm vehicles and dad thinks they are crap because he always had to pick up gm cars off the side of the road when he was a tow truck driver.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:19 PM
Prospect

holding up

wife's cobalt was purchased in 05 with 4k miles on it . turned in lease for a larger car .. only cobalt on the lot (dealer) now has 173,950 on it and the last five days we have had a problem which is now taken care of .. tires,one brake job,one serpentine belt,one O2 senser,one tune-up,one coolant flush,one cabin filter,one set of wipers blades,I change the oil-filter every 3k miles,clean the K&N filter once a year , everything but the o2 senser is maintenance so the last 5 days are no problem . she called from work 1/9/14 to let me know the car lost power on the way to work . she travels 50 miles one way 2 work . all highway .. it would cruse at high speeds most of the way and getting off the HW it would loose power and the check eng. light came on . can't say enough for a repair shop that does diagnostic , that's there specialty . he replaced origonal plug wires , reset code and said try that .. this morning same thing (Monday) so I returned and he installed a new coil and told me if that wasn't it I could return and he would refund the $$$ for the coil .. drove it all over 2day and runs perfect .... she wants a new cruze in the spring ....... just noticed 2day vibration at 55- 60 mph ... at 65 mph it's gone ....

Last edited by valkerie; 01-13-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Coil packs are known to go bad on 05-06. She should be good for an other 5 years now. lol Cruze is a nice choice by the way. They run very nice.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Old 01-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Prospect

holding up

now my cobalt .. purchased it new in 07 .. traded my Silverado pick-up for the cobalt .. miss the truck but NOT THE GAS MILEAGE .. mileage 2day is 121.560 , and I do change oil every 3k miles and clean K&N air filter once a year .. last month just did the rear brakes for the first time , one set of front brakes,one serpentine belt,one cabin air filter ,tires,replaced L front wheel bearing twice, had an air diverter installed once , and thanks to this site a thermostat was replaced , wasn't getting a temp reading and some KIND forum readers helped me , and at 88k the cylinder head was replaced via dealer at no cost 2 me .... and several light bulbs which doesn't bother me ... love the gas mileage and I also will be looking for a cruze when replacement time comes ....
Old 01-14-2014, 05:43 AM
Staff Alumni

Btw o2 sensor is maintenance. There's a set replacement schedule of roughly 80-100k
2005 Cobalt LS coupe - 8000k hids/l.e.d reverse lights/Debadged/GMPP intake/GMPP Performance catback/Kenwood indash dvd/Stock pioneer sub/Alpine 6.5's/Alpine 6x9's/Pioneer GM-7500M amplifier/Led dome light Sold to my brother
2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - Korean designed, American made, with an engine designed in Italy, built by Germans and mated to a Japanese transmission.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:48 AM
Contributor

bit of recalls on it stering was going out...
smell of sulfur dealer is trying to pin it on bad gas use only the top ter gas station
water behind the lens GM says it has to be there for more then 2 days for it to be fixed
steering motor replaced...stupid idea there eletric steering the idoit needs to slapped silly for that diea..
breaks replaced
O2 sensor.
steering colum replaced
the gages jump around for no reason when car is off..WTH!!
and some more forgeting about it
it should be a whole new car with all that's been done to it...
had it jsut over 2yrs with 32,000 and current milage 59,000
looking to put anohter 59,000
even through I may dog GM a lot it is a good car so far

Last edited by Megatron; 01-14-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:55 AM
Initiate

The gauges jumping around is normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement