05 Cobalt,power Steering- Trans Not Shifting-speedo Not Working - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

05 Cobalt,power Steering- Trans Not Shifting-speedo Not Working

I'looking for a little help with my daughters cobalt and this looked like a good place to ask.I have searched for 2days on Google for a lead and all I have found is dead end threads and a lot of people with the same problem.a little back ground on the car.the recalls for the ignition switch and steering motor was done last year.car has done fine for a year then the power steering light came on and it got hard to steer, speedo stopped working and trans would not shift.she shut the car off and restarted it and it was fine for a week then happened again.now it is a permanent problem as it happens non stop.what I have done: I have took off the grounds behind the headlight,on the transmission and in the trunk.cleaned and put back on.cleaned all fuses related to TCM and ecm.I also measured the voltage flow to the battery while it was running and got 14.50 volts. I also tried the ground wire to the tcm. I unplugged the steering motor and drove it and no change.my next Guess's are battery or bcm.anyone have any ideas or has anyone had a similar problem? What did you do to fix it? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Try reseating a few times the 2 blue/gray connectors on the BCM module you seem to be losing GMLand communication between BCM and TCM.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

If this seems to solve the problem for a few weeks then do the same thing with the connections but add dielectric grease.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2007 Cashmere metalic Cobalt LS Sedan 2.2L auto 1G1AJ55F977161789
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2011 Silver Silverado 5.3l V8 auto 1GCRKSE31BZ141724

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks coby7 for the tip! I'm going to put a new battery in it today because the one in it is old.before I connect the cables I will unhook the connectors and clean,apply dielectric grease.

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

I took the connectors off and applied dielectric grease.I also took the red block loose and greased it.then took the ground cable in the trunk off and sanded the paint off the mounting point and applied grease and reinstalled.then I put a new battery in after that.fingers crossed I gave it a try,same problems.my next question is the junk yard told me if I bought a used bcm,I had to buy the ignition switch also.the dealer told me all I needed was the bcm and they could program it.who is right? Thanks again for the help.also I will keep posting till we figure it out,hopefully it will help someone else. I hate dead end threads! Lol

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Okay now try flipping or replacing the ECM/TCM fuse top left corner, sometimes this fuse gets pitted bad. Let me know what happens.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

OK I will try it and report back!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Fuse looks good,no corrosion or pits.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I don't believe it's the BCM but I'm out of solutions. Unless somebody did a radio install and accidentally cut the dark green GMLan wire or it's chaffed against ground somewhere.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

It has a aftermarket stereo in it but it uses the stock radio connector and nothing has been cut..it has also been in the car for 2 1\2 years with no problems until now.the dark green lan wire you mentioned,where is it located? I purchased a used/known good,bcm with a 30 day warranty and I made a appointment at the local gm dealer to have it programmed on tuesday.both techs I spoke to at the dealer said it sounded like the bcm to them,but I wanted to verify everything else first.they also told me if I changed it out at home it would lock the car down.so I'm going to drive it to the dealership and swap out the bcm myself and then they can drag it in and program it.

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Thanks for all your help coby7,I really appreciate it!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Well to catch everyone up on this problem,I bought a used bcm that the numbers matched exactly.the gm tech told me on the phone he could program it to my car.I drove it to the dealer and switched out the old bcm with the one I bought.the dealer told me it would cost 100 dollars to program it.the next day they call me and tell me they can't program it because it has already been programmed and I would have to buy a new one at 450 dollars plus 100 to program it! They told me it would be best if they diagnose it with the computer they have.the charge is 100 dollars to diagnose it.I told them to go ahead and find out what is wrong with it.they called me today and told me the TCM is bad and it will be 500 dollars to fix it,so I told them to do it! I still have not got the car back but hopefully they will solve the problem.I will report back when I find out something.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 02:20 PM
Expert

Garage
Man, that's rough!

If you don't mind, please let us know what the root of the problem was once it's finally sorted out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode