New Clutch for Stock 2006 2.2L - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

New Clutch for Stock Cobalt 2006 2.2L

Hi,

My clutch is starting to slip. I've read some discussion on clutches in here but most of it is for high performance.

I have a 2006 LS 2.2L 5 Speed / 175k miles / completely stock and would like to spend a little money as possible. While the motor/trans is out is there anything else I should check and or replace that are easy to get to? Should I have all the engine / transmission mounts replaced? What about timing chain / tension inspection? What is easy to inspect or get replaced during a clutch replacement?

I found a shop that will install for me and resurface flywheel for $500, if I come up with the parts which seems like a decent deal.

My question is which clutch kit should I buy?

Rock Auto has the following:
LUK 04246 $170
Brute Power 92659 $180
M-PACT 0421WS $192
EXEDY GMK1010 $232

Should I get new engine/trans mounts while I'm at it? Main output shaft bearing or seal? Can anyone recommend if I should buy a new flywheel or have the old one resurfaced?

The car is just my daily beater but I do plan on keeping it for a few more years.

Thanks in advance.

2006 Cobalt LS 2.2 / 5 Speed Coupe / 166k Miles

Last edited by jmatrix; 01-08-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Staff Alumni

My dad owns a transmission shop. We pretty much exclusively use LUK clutch kits for stock applications. I can't remember a time one has failed prematurely and they are always of the highest quality. Actually I put one into my old cobalt.

Exedy I find to be hit or miss. I've replaced quite a few because they've blown the springs out of the clutch disc.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by money_man View Post
My dad owns a transmission shop. We pretty much exclusively use LUK clutch kits for stock applications. I can't remember a time one has failed prematurely and they are always of the highest quality. Actually I put one into my old cobalt.

Exedy I find to be hit or miss. I've replaced quite a few because they've blown the springs out of the clutch disc.
Awesome, I just ordered one from rock auto, should be here in a few days. I read LUK is a German company, and makes good clutches.

I've talked to shops that want to install and warranty their own parts. A clutch really is just a clutch I think unless you're going for performance - I've seen the way more expensive Exedy Stage2/3.

About $700 and hopefully I'll have a brand new clutch (should feel better than before I bought the car a year and half ago) by next week. Not bad and I guess not worth selling or junking the car.

THanks

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:25 AM
Staff Alumni

Excellent choice.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Well I got my Cobalt back today from a transmission shop. Luk clutch kit is installed. Total was $530 on labor /w tax. Clutch kit was about $180 with shipping from Rock Auto.

What a difference, I'm still getting used to the clutch pedal as it engages much earlier than before but has plenty of bite and is smooth unlike the slipping and chattering/vibration I had before.

I have to put my foot nearly to the floor to disengage. I guess this is normal as there is new friction material, from what I understand as a clutch wears the engagement will occur at a higher pedal height?

I also installed a new front hub bearing using the how-to guide on this site. Again what a difference. No more whirring or wizzing which I thought was tire noise.

Grand total I spent for front wheel hub bearing (I installed) and clutch (shop installed), and 8 days worth of car rental was about $875. Not bad - a dealership would have charged me about $2000 without car rental probably. Tires Plus quoted me $250 for 1 front hub bearing, their parts only. I just purchased a cheap driveworks hub bearing (about $65) and used loan a tools from advance auto parts (hub nut sockets and hub puller) and did it myself. I probably saved about $1000 compared to a normal repair shop by purchasing parts myself and having a tranny shop do the clutch install.

I'm happy to have my Cobalt back in action

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode