Torque - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 01:18 AM
Forum Regular

Torque

Do you guys torque your lug nuts on after market wheels? if so what do you typically tighten them too? i did not torque my 18s last summer but i want to do it right this season.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 04:08 AM
Contributor

Garage
100 ft. lbs.

Cherry's Tree

Randy
Now serving Boost
272whp 276wtq @10psi
Old 04-15-2010, 06:35 AM
Newcomer

Garage
i did mine to 85
Old 04-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Forum Regular

lol so which is it? is there a right or wrong answer? Does it depend on the stud diameter or the rim or the lugs??

Old 04-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Levee
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
I'd go with what your OM says. Rims will hold what that recommends. Any more than that and you'll start looking at breaking/stripping your lugs. Any less than that and you run the risk of lugs falling off. Just go with the OEM specs and you can't go wrong.
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

Future mods - lowering springs/coilovers, 18" rims wrapped with 265/40/18 Hankook RS3s, Short throw shifter, TRE Ultimate Ratio 5spd Trans with 4.11 Final out, TRE LSD upgraded Transfer Case, and TRE Upgraded Rear LSD Differential, 5 pt harness w/ harness bar
Blew it up after 1k miles from jumping timing. Going for 1k whp now
New numbers coming soon!

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Cobalt Mag Subscription! Check it out!

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
Old 04-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Forum Regular

Ok well I have heard 100 from a couple different people so I'll stick with that then. Does it mention in the manual the OM specifications?

Old 04-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Forum God

I torque them with my arm :P lol I just do it until i feel it's a certain tightness, takes afew times going over them...but I don't have a torque wrench. Haven't run into any problems, 3 years in a row...
Old 04-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Forum God

I think its 100. definately dont do it by hand. sure you can get it close but thats not good enough imo
Old 04-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
I torque to oone hundred ft/lbs +/- 5 ft/lbs using my calibrated arm ;D The real trick is to use a torque wrench the first few times then start using a breaker bar or a wrench that is appx the same length as your torque wrench was. Start using your normal wrench every time, and check your work with the torque wrench, eventually you'll have the "feel" of how tight it should be. Another trick is to take a marker and draw a line across your lug and onto your rim. after you torque your lugs down the line will be offset. maybe a quarter turn, a half a turn or whatever, but if you can remember this you don't need to always have a torque wrench to maintain proper torque. You just know that once you got it tight you need to turn it appx 1/4 turn around and it'll be just about right. These are just little tricks I've picked up at my job,theres a lot of times we have to torque a nut down to a few hundred (or sometimes a few thousand ft/lbs) and it is just physically impossible to get a torque wrench in there. so we usually do the method with the line on all the nuts we can reach and get an average distance that equals the proper torque and when we get to the ones that are harder to access we draw a line and throw a slugging wrench on it and start pounding till it all lines up. It's a major pain in the ass, and a lot of times a major pain on the hand, but it works, it always passes breakaway torque, and is a method that our quality assurance guys will pass when they do their inspections. So I'm pretty sure it'll work for you too

I know that rant wasn't exactly what you were asking for so here's my answer...It says in the manual that the lug torque is 100 ft/lbs and it is always best to try to follow any torque specs that they call for. But in all honesty as far as your lugs go, you can prolly get away with a lot less, just make sure you don't go over 100. so 85 ft/lbs will prolly work just fine, hell 75 ft/lbs would prolly be fine. The main thing is that it isn't gonna come off. But if you over torque then you risk doing a lot of damage to your lugs.
www.cobaltmag.com
Old 04-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
I torque to oone hundred ft/lbs +/- 5 ft/lbs using my calibrated arm ;D The real trick is to use a torque wrench the first few times then start using a breaker bar or a wrench that is appx the same length as your torque wrench was. Start using your normal wrench every time, and check your work with the torque wrench, eventually you'll have the "feel" of how tight it should be. Another trick is to take a marker and draw a line across your lug and onto your rim. after you torque your lugs down the line will be offset. maybe a quarter turn, a half a turn or whatever, but if you can remember this you don't need to always have a torque wrench to maintain proper torque. You just know that once you got it tight you need to turn it appx 1/4 turn around and it'll be just about right. These are just little tricks I've picked up at my job,theres a lot of times we have to torque a nut down to a few hundred (or sometimes a few thousand ft/lbs) and it is just physically impossible to get a torque wrench in there. so we usually do the method with the line on all the nuts we can reach and get an average distance that equals the proper torque and when we get to the ones that are harder to access we draw a line and throw a slugging wrench on it and start pounding till it all lines up. It's a major pain in the ass, and a lot of times a major pain on the hand, but it works, it always passes breakaway torque, and is a method that our quality assurance guys will pass when they do their inspections. So I'm pretty sure it'll work for you too

I know that rant wasn't exactly what you were asking for so here's my answer...It says in the manual that the lug torque is 100 ft/lbs and it is always best to try to follow any torque specs that they call for. But in all honesty as far as your lugs go, you can prolly get away with a lot less, just make sure you don't go over 100. so 85 ft/lbs will prolly work just fine, hell 75 ft/lbs would prolly be fine. The main thing is that it isn't gonna come off. But if you over torque then you risk doing a lot of damage to your lugs.
www.cobaltmag.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread