Brakes Humming After Replacing.........help! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 04:59 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Brakes Humming After Replacing.........help!

ok, so, over the weekend i replace my front brakes, rotor and pads. after the install i took the car for a test drive and stopped a few times. i know better than to go too hard on new brakes till they are broken in, so the stops were very easy. during the test i did notice a kind of humming noise. the only thing i can compare the sound to is braking on a rough road and you hear the humming from the tires as you are stopping. i really don't notice any pulling or vibrating when stopping. the old rotors were warped and it feels WAY smoother now. I am just stumped as to what the noise is and if it is going get worse. i am thinking now that i just have to finish braking in the rotors and pads. any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
um, sounds like ABS is kicking, so id check to make shure your brake lines are not twisted. make shure that all the bolts are tight. thats about all i can think of. most times id have to be there to diag
Old 10-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
so, i took the brakes apart, put it all back together after applying a fresh bit of caliber grease. i also made sure i bled the brakes really good. after i was done, i went for a test drive to see if the brakes would make the same noise/vibration. at first it was very quiet, then i did some more braking and it started again. i don't know what else to check. it all started after i replace the rotors and pads. i don't know..............any other ideas?
Old 10-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
so, i took the brakes apart, put it all back together after applying a fresh bit of caliber grease. i also made sure i bled the brakes really good. after i was done, i went for a test drive to see if the brakes would make the same noise/vibration. at first it was very quiet, then i did some more braking and it started again. i don't know what else to check. it all started after i replace the rotors and pads. i don't know..............any other ideas?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:50 AM
Subforum Moderator
Subforum Moderator

bearing???

Syndicate of Tuners
Old 10-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Did you replace your original rotors with drilled rotors because drilled rotors hum and get worst has the rust gets to them. The rust creates a ridge around each hole causing them to hum louder and louder. Grooved and drilled rotors are only good for racing as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:42 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
the bearings don't seem to be the problem as this noise/humming only occurs when i brake.

no, they are not drilled rotors, just regular/plain rotors with ceramic pads.

i even went ahead and rotated my tires to see if maybe it was some road noise from the tires, but no luck.......
Old 10-04-2011, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Are they getting better with time as the pads seat in a groove and wear away at machining marks?
Old 10-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
not as bad. i am beginning to think they just need to wear down the rotor surface a little more. i will keep updating.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
The best pads I found for limited amount of brake dust were the ''Adaptive One'' from NAPA Autoparts. Two different pads inside and out. I'm on my second set, they are a great product if you don't like to wash your front wheels all the time. I had 154000 Kms on the last set and rotor. When the Cobalt will need brakes I will not hesitate to fit it with these pads. Also they come with the stainless steel guide clips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread