Loud Humming Noise - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Newcomer

Loud Humming Noise

2005 cobalt. loud humming noise coming from the front end. sounds like the driver side as well as feeling a little vibration in the floor on the driver side. Noise is speed controlled and not rpm controlled. (neutral down down a hill the noise still gets louder with speed) There is no vibration felt while driving and the noise doesn't get any bettor or worse with cornering or braking. Here's what I did. Swapped out the driver side wheel hub assembly and noticed that the cv axle was pretty wobbly on the transmission so I swapped that out as well. I also replaced pads and rotors and all that went well. Except now the noise is basically cut in half and I don't feel anything in the floor anymore. What are the odds that the wheel bearing is bad on the passenger side too? Furthermore, if that wheel bearing is bad as well I might as well assume the cv axle is bad too right? That would tell me something else must be wrong if both axle's and bearing are bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to MP81 Send a message via AIM to MP81 Send a message via MSN to MP81 Send a message via Yahoo to MP81
Usually if one is bad, the other won't be far behind it.

My girlfriend's Cobalt makes this same noise. Very loud hum.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:22 AM
Newcomer

Exclamation same problem

i have the saem humming noise... driver side and can feel in in the floor. Last night i changed out the bearing on it and took it for a drive....no sound or anything til i hit 40mph... when i hit the the sound was back. before when it was bad i could hear it at any speed and it just got louder the faster i went.. but now only when i hit 40+ i hear it... could it be the CV drive shaft?? or something else??? i know its not the passenger side i replaced that 2 months ago when it seezed up( yeah did brakes and noticed something wasnt right. took it off and i couldnt turn it... took it to napa and they were like you drove on this??? the bearings are fused to the housing! may for a bad night) any one have any insite?? if it is the CV drive shaft how do i remove that??
Old 12-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Wouldn't be an axle shaft if you hear a hum. Because there is only 6 or 7 bearings in the outer CV joint they produce a very low frequency and not a hum. Maybe a bad scallopy winter tire, have you tried exchanging front to rear to eliminate the tire? Drilled rotors when they rust also produce hum. How many miles on the Balt? Maybe you have a bad transmission or motor mount.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Old 12-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Newcomer

I've got 96000 on it.. its an 05.. 2.2L. No winter tires, and just had new tires in july put on and they get rotated a few weeks ago. And I had the problem then just wasn't as noticeable as now. Its on the driver side, I can feel it in the floor and hear it. Its like a rotating humm...like humm nothing humm, nothing and fast once you go faster... no drilled rotors either...just regular ones
Old 12-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Then next I would check mounts, you might have a bad one and what you're feeling is transfered vibrations from engine and transmission.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Newcomer

how would i go about that???
Old 12-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
There are four mounts, one on the transmission,one below radiator, one in the front of the engine where all the pulleys are and one mounted on the firewall. Locate and visually inspect for any broken rubber or metal touching metal or if it just doesn't look centered. If they all seem OK do one last test, ''PULL PARKING BRAKE'' have a friend get in step on the brakes an engage in reverse and forward and check these mounts for excessive play. It will be obvious if one is bad engine will tip over and lean . You might even hear where it hits.

The ones that fail the most are the firewall and radiator ones because the other two are just pivot points.

Last edited by Coby7; 12-04-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Newcomer

okk ill check that and see what happens if those are good anything else i should look at while im under there that could be making the noise???

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

on my way home tonight ill get a video / sound clip so you can hear it.. and you can all so determind it...
Old 12-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Try swirving left to right when you hear this noise to see if it changes the hums pitch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
loud humming, noise