Virus on the Forum? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Tech Problems Technical problems with the site or your account

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Virus on the Forum?

Can any of the moderators explain or fix this?....

Every time I open the page it throws an alert (I'm on my Girls windows computer)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:26 PM
hawaii icon
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I can't say for sure cuz I really don't know much, but 'autoforums' I believe is the owner of YC and that it isn't necessarily a virus but just the software they use to track what you are doing.

Aspire to Inspire the Aspirations of the Inspirational
www.facebook.com/islandecotecs
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by agita_san View Post
I can't say for sure cuz I really don't know much, but 'autoforums' I believe is the owner of YC and that it isn't necessarily a virus but just the software they use to track what you are doing.
fishi!!!! 1 GF is enough to keep track of me LOL
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:57 PM
Levee
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
2 things I see that need to be fixed, and another thing about the problem..

1. Get rid of IExplorer. Use another Browser as that warning resulted in the changing of the .exe file for iexplorer. (Iexplorer or any other windows based software is known to be the easiest and most hacked software ever, so you will feel much safer if you don't use it).

2. Get RID of Norton AV. It is a complete memory hog, is easily hacked as well, and doesn't pick up on most of the new viruses out there, and is too expensive. If it was on the computer when you got it, don't renew it, just get a different program.

Now for the autoforums thing. I don't believe autoforums owns this site, I just believe that they host this site on a server, however, what you encountered was spyware that was embeded into an ad that is on the site. (again, you're using IE so it is written easily enough to just bypass the IE security) That is NOT a virus, but it IS spyware/malware. Get Spybot S&D (it's free) and set it up, scan computer, clean computer, and immunize computer with that program. It works like an extra firewall on your computer for malware and spyware. Once done with that, download and run CCleaner until it finds nothing more with the programs, or the registry. Once done with all that, you should be fine with your computer until you get a different AV program (I recommend Avast). Just my $.02 as I build computers for a side job for many people and after 10 years of doing it, I've never had anyone have a problem/virus/attack on their computer.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:03 PM
Forum God

Garage
Listen to the man on 1.

Seriously, IE is horrid.

The Racekar - SOLD!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIW9XK_WMR4
2007 Cashmere Metallic Chevy Cobalt LT Sedan...totaled 04/11/2011
2010 VR Cobalt 2LT Sedan Debadged, ZZP Intake, Custom 2.5" Exhaust/Borla Pro XS, FE5 Bidnez with KSport Springs.
Previously dumped on BC Xtreme Low's...RIP LOWLYFE :(
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM
Subforum Moderator
Subforum Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
I get a warning here and there too on mine, I use chrome and have Kaspersky Lab. Its something the forum has to track like what was said already
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:31 PM
Levee
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
I get a warning here and there too on mine, I use chrome and have Kaspersky Lab. Its something the forum has to track like what was said already
I get no warnings ever, and I use Chrome with SB S&D and CCleaner. Never had an issue with any of it lol, but to each their own. The errors for "tracking" are spyware trojans that are installed on your computer to show usage. With Tea Timer (comes with Spybot) it will eliminate them.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
i only got a malware alert when i tried to open the CarID new thread. chrome said get away get away, dont wanna blow my work pc up lol

WA636R - Switchblade Silver Mt 09 Sedan LT 2.2L LAP......Auto!

MODS:Fe5 TC Shock + Struts\Moog Endlinks\YYZ V1 Springs\SC Gunmetal Wheels. Badmab Shorty Header\GMPP Performance Exhaust\ZZP 2.5 Catted DP\K&N Drop-in filter\High Flow Intake Tube. Gen4 Headlights\6K Low Beam HID\LED 3rd Brake Light\LED Turn Signals,Plate,Trunk, Dome, Reverse, Side-marker\ Debadge "LT" & GM fender badges\Shorty Antenna

Join YC.com on Facebook! Like YC.com on facebook too!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 06:51 AM
Admin

Garage
Hey everyone,

Thank you for your reports and the techs have dealt with the issue. You may still get a warning message from your browser about the site but I assure you that the site is safe.

Sorry about any problems this has caused.

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode