Clutch replacement cost? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Transmission All about the Chevy Cobalt Transmission

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Newcomer

Clutch replacement cost?

I'm in the market for a Cobalt and will most likely buy one with a standard shift. I'm probably going to end up buying a Cobalt with around 100,000km's (60,000 mi) on it and I'm almost expecting to have to change a clutch during my ownership.
My question is, has anyone had one changed at a dealer and how much did it cost? private shop cost?
I've changed a clutch in a Ford F150 once before without any probs, just don't know if I'm up to it again?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

John.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Newcomer

as an owner of a 2007 cobalt, I have had nothing but issues. Presently I have 59k on my car and the clutch just went on it. I don't race my car, I shift at under 3000 RPM and really it is just ridiculous that I should have to replace the clutch this soon on a car that is only 2 years old. I purchased it with only 4 miles on it so I put all the miles on it. In addition the fan for the heading and ac is out on speeds 1 and 2 and the bushing had to be replaced on my tires. the thing is a money pit.

$1200 for chevy to do it, 700 for a private garage to fix it.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Newcomer

Thanks for the info, I was looking at replacement clutches online and they aren't exactly cheap for this car! I'm certainly going to keep this in mind when buying a Cobalt. Unfortunately there arent very many used Cobalt's with auto tranny, but a ton of manual shift models available.

John
Old 10-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Forum Regular

Get a manual tranny. our clutch is fine in these cars. There are many people with well over a 100,000 miles on the original clutch. But you have to understand that these motors have rpm lag. meaning the rpms fall slower than some other cars(its not a bad thing, its just how our motors are cammed) when you put in the clutch to shift you should wait an extra second or so before you let of of the clutch again for the next shift. if you just shift quickly you will see the rpms drop rapidly which creates more friction on the clutch. You are supposed to wind out a gear to your desired rpm push in the clutch, shift, let rpms fall a little bit to rpm match and release the clutch. This is how I drive, some people might call it "babying my car" but I dont like to abuse my things, im also the guy who puts over 200,000 miles on original clutches. So dont let ne one steer you away from these manual trannys. They are great and the clutches are fine.
DC Sports CS-1 Strut Tower Bar
Eibach Sportline springs
Eibach 29mm Front Sway Bar
Eibach 25mm Rear Sway Bar
Moog Sway Bar Links
Konig 17in light weight wheels-17lbs each
225/45/17 Kuhmo Ecsta AST
Dojo weighted shift knob
5% tint
Debadged
Blacked out GM option front grill
08 Kicker Comp 12in/ 08 Lightning 150.2 amp
Old 10-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Veteran

x2^^ it all depends on you how you drive......if you shift CORRECTLY then no worries but if you grind ur clutch or race or whatever then ull have to replace the clutch.......
Old 10-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
idk what replacement would cost. but like said above..
the stock clutch is fine. unless people cant drive, or you start out performing it.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Newcomer

I personally have not had my car that long, but I know other people that got well over 100,000 on the clutch and still going strong,Stop and go traffic, you name it. I have heard the Slave Cylinder which is inside the Bell Housing fails and so as long as you have it apart for that....So although the clutch may be fine your probably going to want to replace it anyway. I heard $1600.00 Dealer on a Cavalier,$800.00 regular garage.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Newcomer

I'm not going to let other people's clutch issues stop me from buying a Cobalt. I think most of the clutch issues with these cars are user inflicted.
I've owned is six four wheeled vehicles now, half of which were stick, and I have never fried a clutch.
I've also driven motorcycles all my life, all of which had manual clutches.
I'm confident the clutch in the car I buy will last, or at least won't fail because of the way I drive it. My biggest concern is clutch replacement cost. The car I buy will most likely have around 100,000 km's on it so Iam expecting to change one clutch during my ownership.
I found a full article on changing one of these clutches, and as much work as it is to change one, I think I would be up to the job myself.
After market clutches that claim to hold better than stock are available for under $300 U.S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread