Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Check Transmission Fluid?

376K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  kw02 
#1 ·
I need help with this i do not have time to take the car to the dealer to check it. I have an automatic 2006 Cobalt Lt.

#9 ·
Is it a visual check, or an "unscrew this and make a mess" check?

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
There is a thread on checking the ATF in the Cobalt:

No Dipstick... need to have skills as a mechanic... car on lift, engine running, at operating temperature... remove check plug on front of tranny... fill fluid until it comes out of the check plug hole and then replace plug. DO NOT stop engine until the check plug is in place or you will dump hot fluid. Fill through the vent on top of the tranny (plastic plug).

Originally Posted by Maven
(paraphrased straight from the GM manual)

Start the engine and allow the engine to idle until the transmission fluid temperature has reached at least 105degF. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK range.

Remove the fluid vent cap. (red cap on drivers side top of trans)
Raise the vehicle on a hoist(or support on jackstands)
. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range.

Remove the transmission oil level control plug(its a small usually 10mm hex bolt on the right/passenger side of trans, below and in front of the right hand axle.)

Check the fluid level. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the threaded plug hole.

Add DEXRON®III automatic transmission fluid in increments of 0.5 L (0.5 qt) until the fluid drains from the plug hole.

#14 ·
There isn't one.

#15 ·
so how do u check the tranny fluid or do a fitler and gasket

#23 ·
That's what I've always heard. I don't plan on even thinking about mine till 100k.

#28 ·
Or don't worry about it. Mine was a rental too.

And now it's supercharged.

#30 ·
Transmisson Fluid Changed

Can you do this anywhere else than the dealership? I tried to take it to pep boys and they said they couldn't because it was sealed up. Anybody know of a place than can actually change it other than the dealership? I don't believe in paying a ton of money from a dealership.

#34 ·
Good luck finding the dipstick for my trans, then - cause there isn't one. :blink1:

#32 ·
Pretty much only a dealer or other GOOD mechanic as the Balts and G-5s need dextron 6 fluid. I have never even seen dextron 5 more or less 6 in any of the parts stores that I have looked, and that includes 3 states. Seems like GM is using something new to keep people coming back to them.

#35 ·
My 05 auto LS is at 78,000 miles and has been driven to Vegas a few times as well as driven the 7 hours to San Jose, CA and the 5 hours to Lake Havasu, AZ every Summer at least once. Ive been thinking about switching the fluid out, well having someone with the know how to do it, but in all actuality it has been driving completely fine as always. It makes me hesitant to do it, if its not really needed. Especially if flushing it out without changing the TC could cause trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.