Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruze Tranny

7K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  bbrewbaker 
#1 ·
does anybody know if the chevy cruze auto transmission would work as a swap in our cars, I'm sure the bellhousing bolts would be the same, and the electronics are can-bus, so they should talk, what I think the deciding factor will be is this:

does the cobalt and cruze have a seperate TCM?

how close are the mount bolts?

is the spline and size of the axles the same

this is truely theoretical at this point, but it's something I have been thinking

I want to keep my auto trans, but hate the 4 speed, the cruze LTZ comes with a 6 speed auto, which SHOULD be much better for accelleration and also fuel economy.

I just figured I would bounce this off the Gurus here...and see what came back, to see if I should put more effort into the research and obtaining this

#3 ·
sure they are different cars, but so was the cavalier and cobalt, and the engine/trans combo from the balt can be put in the cavi

the ecotech engines are different displacement, but roughly the same layout, and I'm sure the same bellhousing bolt pattern

I might have to call my buddy who works for the service department at a chevy dealership, and see if he can get me some dimensions and/or drawings

#6 ·
Plus the Cruze is engineered by DaeWoo. It's a Lacetti with a bowtie.

#9 ·
AVEO also made by DaeWoo

#12 ·
They are all ecotech series engines, but I'm going to have to do alot more research on this

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#14 ·
That might be a better match, I'll have to check on that, THANKS!

#16 ·
That might not be a big deal, just about any driveshaft shop can swap the ends over to make that part work

#17 · (Edited)
"The 6T40 made its debut in the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu, available with the 2.4 litre LE5 Ecotec engine making 164 horsepower (122 kW), and has since also be made available on the Chevrolet Cruze, Daewoo Tosca and Buick LaCrosse."
from the wikipedia page for 6t40 the 6speed auto used in malibus

anything can be made to work mechanically, the real question will be can one make the computers talk the way they need to?

also dated a girl with a cruze and the slap shift mode can be pretty fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.