Tranny Removal and Installation - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Transmission All about the Chevy Cobalt Transmission

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Initiate

Question Tranny Removal and Installation

So when removing my tranny from my 0 ss sc is that going to require an engine pull? And what's the difficulty in this process of removing and putting a new one back in?

Old 06-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Staff Alumni

its not difficult, if anything it will be time consuming. Most people find bleeding the throw out bearing to be the most annoying part.

You'll have to drop the frame, then just unbolt the transmission and pull it out. Of course I assume you already know to pull the axles and drain the transmission. Labour times are 6.8 hours labour or 5.5 hours warranty labour for R&R so that's not to bad. That assumes a hoist with air tools however so if you're going to be doing it on the ground then you should add some time to that.
2005 Cobalt LS coupe - 8000k hids/l.e.d reverse lights/Debadged/GMPP intake/GMPP Performance catback/Kenwood indash dvd/Stock pioneer sub/Alpine 6.5's/Alpine 6x9's/Pioneer GM-7500M amplifier/Led dome light Sold to my brother
2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - Korean designed, American made, with an engine designed in Italy, built by Germans and mated to a Japanese transmission.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Initiate

Yeah I've got a lift and air tools, however I wasn't aware of the axle being pulled or the throw out bearing, you're talking to a noob here lol

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

Would it just be easier to pull the motor and tranny together?
Old 06-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Staff Alumni

NP!

Remove everything above the transmission so you can get to it. Then undo the shifter and the bell bolts that you can only acess from the top in the engine bay.

Then you'll need to remove the axles from the transmission after you drain the fluid (so it doesn't make a mess). you'll have to unbolt the balljoint pinch bolt that goes through the spindle and detach the spindle from the balljoint in order to get enough swing on the strut to remove the axle. Then you'll have to remove the frame (at least I always remove it as one of the first things just to get it out of the way) this will require the rear trans mount, the front trans mount. You should put something under the oil pan, I use a swivel jack with a piece of 2x6 so I don't hurt the oil pan. Remove the lower bell bolts and it should come out.

I have never removed a cobalt transmission and im not sure on the exact set up of the slave cylinder so I never mentioned anything about that. I also don't know the exact steps on this specific car but what I mentioned is the basic walk through of any standard transmission.

>edit<

definitely is easier just doing the transmission for me. A lot less hassle, although I do know some older mechanics that always remove engine and transmission because that is what they somehow got used to.
2005 Cobalt LS coupe - 8000k hids/l.e.d reverse lights/Debadged/GMPP intake/GMPP Performance catback/Kenwood indash dvd/Stock pioneer sub/Alpine 6.5's/Alpine 6x9's/Pioneer GM-7500M amplifier/Led dome light Sold to my brother
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - Korean designed, American made, with an engine designed in Italy, built by Germans and mated to a Japanese transmission.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Contributor

Garage
here you go http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...4YSbPKoww60cgg
Old 06-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Staff Alumni

that's actually pretty sweet! I didn't know that existed. nice find
Old 06-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by money_man View Post
that's actually pretty sweet! I didn't know that existed. nice find
haha ya thats what i used and it was a great step by step

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

should make it a sticky
Old 06-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Initiate

Thanks a lot fellas, im still hassaling with the dealer trying to get them to cover it, ive the car for 33 days. Righ tnow i have it to where they will wil ljust give me the tranny i can install it, but im busy man, and no tto savy on this autofram, so we will see what happens, thanks guys!!

Closed Thread

Tags
installation