Chevy Cobalt Manual Trans - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Register Home Forums Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Transmission All about the Chevy Cobalt Transmission

YourCobalt.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 08:02 AM
Veteran

Chevy Cobalt Manual Trans

Getrag F23
Specifications
Type: transverse front wheel drive, five-speed manual transaxle.

Engine Range: 2.2L-2.4L

Max Gearbox Torque:
170 lb.-ft.

Weight:
102 lbs.

Applications: Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR; Pontiac G5

The Getrag F23 is a three-axis conventional transverse five-speed manual transaxle with fully synchronized reverse gear. It features compact packaging, broad low-torque applications, and reliable operation.

The F23 has two gearsets on each of three parallel shafts the input shaft, the output shaft, and the intermediate shaft. This three-shaft (also called three-axis) design results in a very short axial length for better packaging. There are three separate shift fork shafts, which hold three shift forks to activate the synchronizer rings for the two gearsets on each of the three gear shafts. The shift forks are activated by a cable system. The clutch release bearing is operated by a concentric slave cylinder that surrounds the input shaft in the clutch housing. A concentric slave cylinder allows more linear clutch feel than an external lever-actuated clutch and release bearing. The input shaft carries the 3rd and 4th gear synchronizer, the intermediate shaft carries the 1st and 2nd gear synchronizer, and the output shaft carries the 5th and reverse gear synchronizer. The aluminum case contains a conventional final drive gearset.

There are sintered bronze double-cone blocker rings on the synchronizers for 1st and 2nd gears, while 3rd and 4th gears use carbon fiber blocker rings, and 5th and Reverse gears use molybdenum on their synchronizers. Carbon and molybdenum are extremely durable friction surfaces that remain stable even under extreme heat. Reverse gear is synchronized, which is a design advantage. That means the vehicle does not have to be completely stationary in order for reverse gear to be selected by the driver. On-going improvements include refinements such as a new synchronizer sleeve for first and second gear that improves cold-weather engagement of the gears.

Several refinements differentiate the applications of the F23: The concentric slave cylinder, which hydraulically actuates the clutch pressure plate, was redesigned to match the engine configuration in the Chevy Cobalt. VUE and ION use a reservoir where brake and clutch fluid share the same reservoir body, although partitions inside the reservoir keep the fluid for each function separate.

Source:GMinsidenews.com

Last edited by nugz; 01-08-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2008, 06:34 AM
Newcomer

Thanks for the information nugz! That's more information then I have available to me at the dealership that I work for!

I've been very happy thus far with my 5-speed and I really like the fact that reverse is synchronized.

It doesn't look like that there are very many on this site that have a 5-speed in a non SS/SC cobalt? I guess that was one of the reasons why I ordered mine, I wasn't able to find very many manuals in an LT(especially an LT3) at the time.

www.myspace.com/edmadison

Am I the only one with a four dour manual in here?

Old 01-08-2008, 07:39 AM
Forum Regular

can u post that same info for the ss/sc? =) pretty please.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Newcomer

He did Bubba, couple of threads down from this one.......

Old 01-08-2008, 09:02 AM
mind4engineering

you need to CITE your source
Old 01-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosidamde View Post
It doesn't look like that there are very many on this site that have a 5-speed in a non SS/SC cobalt? I guess that was one of the reasons why I ordered mine, I wasn't able to find very many manuals in an LT(especially an LT3) at the time.
There are a good few actually. Including (but not limited to) myself... But I think most of us ended up with LS's for a similar reason. I just didn't want to wait, I needed it that day pretty much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind4engineering View Post
AAAAHHH, English 1301 flash back...

"Black Betty" 2007 Black LS Coupe.
Visual: Debadged, Painted front bow-tie(gloss black), Yourcobalt.com Sticker applied.
Audio: Stock head unit and speakers, 2 Rockford Fosgate P210S4's sealed enclosure powered by Rockford Fosgate P2002
Performance: Injen CAI Pow Coat Black. Front tires P195R15 Fuzions, rear still sport the stock conts.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind4engineering View Post
Fixed

Last edited by nugz; 01-09-2008 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Rephrased response.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:16 PM
mind4engineering

im just watching yo back man.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Forum Regular

LOL, little dink transmission, no wonder they crack when you launch hard.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Newcomer

I can't complain about this 5-Speed, it's the 3rd one that I've owned. Other two was a 89' Honda Prelude Si and a 94' Mustang LX. This 5-Speed is way smoother and shifts shorter then those others. Yes, I know that there are plenty better, but for the money, I'm very happy.:D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement