Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluetooth for streaming music

27K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  silverbullet67 
#1 ·
One of my friends has a portable jambox that I can connect my phone to via Bluetooth for streaming music. I was wondering what to look for in a head unit for doing the same thing. The factory stereo in my Suzuki has Bluetooth for talking on the phone but not for music... (if it does I just haven't figured it out yet...) Is anyone else doing this all ready? And what specs to look for in a h/u?

#8 ·
i feel you i hate cables, sadly our stock H/U doesn't do anything but take calls with the bluetooth it doesn't do A2DP A2DP Definition

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

i'm tempted to say all moderm H/U do have bluetooth audio streaming though so any will do.

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
yea i seen cables from glove box that gets the mess out a bit more. Definitely an audio loss that's for sure, but i'm no audiophile so no biggie for me ha

#11 ·
See I'm for a good sound stage
Mines about at the windshield wipers just above them...and a little back..but hopefully that be taken care of in spring time...

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

I watch movies in mine and we're looking around wondering where that noise came from a lot....

#13 ·
unless you are doing sound competitions or something then the loss of sound quality shouldn't be too noticeable... I also have an app on my phone- Smart Connect, works on android.. not sure about ios or windows but i have it set to open and play pandora when it connects to my headunit, and then stops when it disconnects..

#14 ·
yea there isnt going to be a major loss in the audio side. I think playing from USB wont lose anything, unless its a crappy media file

#17 · (Edited)
If you want to keep the stock head unit you can install a kit called a gateway. It has a dedicated iOS cable and an aux input. you can pic up a bluetooth dongle for iOS and and connect to the iPhone (or other bluetooth device).

This is the one I have. Amazon.com: iSimple ISGM573 Gateway Automotive Audio Input Interface Kit for 2005-09 GM 11-Bit Blue Connector: Car Electronics

and I have this dongle . Interworks Bluetooth Wireless Receiver (8108404) : Target

OR
if you dont want to use the dongle, iSimple makes a bluetooth add on module that supports bluetooth streaming. For the bluetooth add-on, i'd call iSimple and verify that it works with whatever iOS software you are running.

The iOS connection cable is pretty long. I ran the cable inside the console back to the E-brake area. I drilled a hole in my emergency brake handle bezel just in front of the coin organizer. I keep my iPod and the extra cable tucked in that area. you can also use the lightning adapter from apple to adapt the 30 pin cable to the new iOS lightning cable shape.

This setup works for 05/06 model years. your radio must have a "band" button to install this kit. I think its also compatible for 07+ but the installation harness is different i think . With this gateway, you can use your steering wheel controls or the head unit to skip tracks. Also, the head unit displays artist and song info.

#19 ·
Ahhhh no xplod there known to explode, catch fire, etc..
Had couple of friends that had xplod amps and they lost their car to them...
And yes there is a noticeable sound loss but if you don't really care for it..yes to the normal ear it's not that noticeable..but if you can plug and unplug from your head unit you'll go yeah now I notice and will drive ya nuts
if ya do so don't do it if your not worried about it..
UBS plug in is great it's louder then the cd..Nd charges my iTouch while it connected....
SD cards can't say never used?
Batmoblie ya got a good deal on that head unit I've got the 1500cd/DVD touch screen on sale for $250....was looking into a sound-stream head unit but couldn't afford that top of the line at the time($900)
This will freak some of you's out
bought a clarion head unit 15years ago for $1200
To this day I haven't seen a head unit even compare to this one...I had over $10,000 in just stereo equipment in it and another $1000 into wires...still have it but part of the screen is burnt out an no parts available for it...still works great an blows all head units away...it's a competition pro audio head unit. Had a separate brain that was a processor/EQ.
Was hitting back then 152.3db with pair of 15" in a jeep wrangler....lol

#20 ·
Wow. Just wow. :) and I know Sony has a bad rep but I got the head unit free because my friend had it collecting dust in his garage. The amp was an impulse buy. Couldn't wait for shipping so I got the most expensive one Walmart had... My factory stereo stopped reading disks(probably needs cleaned) and I never used the aux input back then.
Another one of my friends has a 10" jl w7 for sale. I'd love to have but he won't let it go for a good price. He had it in his RSX and it sounded clean. Now hr has it in a Silverado lol, the box takes up the entire backseat.

#21 ·
i have an alpine and the one i have is a little pricey but it's compatible with iPhones and androids and the sum sung galexys (my friends felt the need to sync it up to my head unit)
and with it comes built in is a bypass so people can watch a dvd while i'm driving without the e brake on and my head unit is the only one i know out of my friends that has that

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.