Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trunk Leak from Odd Place (pics Inside)

14K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Coby7 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to figure out where this water is coming from. See attached pics. The weatherstrip is completely dry. I can see the trickles coming from what seems to be where the two pieces of sheet metal come together that the weatherstrip slides over. Please note that the water is coming from UNDER the sheet metal, not on the top. (The sheet metal that the latching mechanism bolts to.)

update:
I found the source of the leak. If you pull up the trunk weatherstrip along the bottom, it goes over two pieces of sheet metal. These two pieces had a small air gap, water was running into the weather strip along the vertical sides and then going between the sheet metal gap and into the trunk. I pulled the weather strip up to the top where it goes flat (water wont run into this part), cleaned the metal with brake clean and wire brushes then applied 3M super weatherstrip adhesive generously along the ridge of the sheet metal. This both sealed the air gap and prevents water from running into the weatherstrip along the vertical section.

See less See more
#2 ·
Most of the trunk leaks have been traced to the high brake light seal. Remove your High brake light apply vaseline or rubber renew and re-install.

#5 · (Edited)
Do what I did, dry out the trunk then run a hose over the trunk with a high volume of water for 15+ min.

Fold down the back seat and crawl in to look around with a flashlight.

The antenna rubber seal can be had on ebay for $10 (part 22704920), I replaced mine because it was leaking a little bit. Condensation in the car isn't as bad now, some silica gel crystals in socks in the trunk keep it mostly dry.

A leak from the center brake light should be easy to spot. And it would have to be a large leak to get in the trunk, because if you look at the bottom of the trunk lid there is a drain hole at the lowest point that drains outside of the weather strip.

#7 ·
You can buy large bags of silica gel crystals (dessicant) at retail stores in the cat litter section. Walmart has a big generic brand bag for $5. Works great at sucking up moisture in confined spaces. I put one in a sock next to the battery and another below the antenna. While the leak is ongoing I would also suggest removing the trunk carpet/board, and the foam carpet beneath the spare tire. Dont want them getting moldy.

#9 ·
I found the source of the leak. If you pull up the trunk weatherstrip along the bottom, it goes over two pieces of sheet metal. These two pieces had a small air gap, water was running into the weather strip along the vertical sides and then going between the sheet metal gap and into the trunk. I pulled the weather strip up to the top where it goes flat (water wont run into this part), cleaned the metal with brake clean and wire brushes then applied 3M super weatherstrip adhesive generously along the ridge of the sheet metal. This both sealed the air gap and prevents water from running into the weatherstrip along the vertical section.

#10 ·
Thank You for coming back and posting the solution, I'm sure others will benefit from your experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.