Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is It Ok to Disconnect the Battery for Longer Term Storage?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Maple_man 
#1 ·
I plan on not driving it for about a month and figure disconnecting the battery will stop any parasitic drain.

But this is my first high tech (read modern electronics) car and I'm not sure what the ramifications of that might be. I figure I'll have to reset the radio.

But does disconnecting the battery also reset the ECU? If so, what would that do?

Also, the battery is the original one. Amazing that it has lasted over 10 years.

Anyone out there have a battery over 10 years old in their Cobalt?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Battery minder may be your best bet though.

#6 ·
Just leave it then, the car draws very little current from the battery at idle and should still be in top shape after a month. Alarm system, RCDLR and wake-up power should last way over 6 months on a good battery according to GM sales & services

#7 ·
my 06 had the original battery till last year, it wasnt even bad, i just wanted to replace it with a little bit bigger battery because i plan on changing the stereo out and want something newer. at one point mine sat for 3 months outside and didnt get touched and it started right up no problems with the old battery. you should be all good if its just a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.