Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steering Noise?

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  fl1000 
#1 ·
2007 cobalt ls, there is no assist when not moving, IF I try to turn the wheel I get BAD clunking noises and nothing happens. I jacked it up and noticed with both wheels off the ground, there is no play in the tierods, but seems to have a small amount of slop inside the rack, and I get a little rattle from that when driving.
Inner tie rods? or something in the rack???

and is there a recall on the racks? I thought I read something about it.

less concerned about the small amount of play than the fact I cant turn w/o moving and the Clunking!

oh, and NO play in the intermediate shaft YET.

Thanks!

Tony

#5 ·
Hi

I have had this problem before ,
the steering shaft end that s connected to to the steering rack on the left side of the car ,
there s a universal joint that s probably the problem

test it out by turning the wheel left and and the steering wheel, it should come back to the center if you have to help it
there s the problem ,then do the same with the right side the steering wheel should come back on its own after turning
if you have to help it there s a problem .

check on the internet cobalt steering shafts problem

or check it out with a garage .

hope it helps !

#6 ·
Ttroidl
Sorry if i seem a bit dence here, but im not following you.
So lets try this.
You can turn the wheels with the engine not running.... i must assume you can.
Now it will be a bit more difficult than when your driving.
If you can get sone one to help, have them turn the steering wheel for you while you listen.

Now how did you check the intermediate steering shaft?

#8 ·
I had to replace the rack this summer...fairly easy to do .... approx 2.5 hrs from start to finish... jack front end,remove left front tire ,unbolt tie rods on both sides, remove intermediate steering shaft from rack and left side link then remove two bolts on top of rack and pull rack out from left wheel well....(had to loosen rear auto tranny mount to make room ).

Good time to replace both tie rods and links if never done . Take it in for an alignment when done !

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.