Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suspected Main Computer Failure (Chevy Cobalt 2005)

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  zgeary96 
#1 ·
So, I'll give the full situation as it unfurled in hopes even minute details help.

I drove to work this morning, and nothing out of the ordinary happened. Car worked as expected. Once I left work, I was greeted after about two minutes of operation with a red battery symbol on my dash, which also beeped a few times. After, it disappeared. I then was fine for ten minutes, then it reappeared, without the beeping. Then it came another ten or so times within an hour period of driving, at completely irregular, but increasing frequency intervals. Once I was almost home- thank god I was close enough to limp-roll it in-- everything related to power instantly died. I had a passenger buckled in, yet the passenger seatbelt notification flashed on the dash. I also was told to service the air bag, and the engine light came on. I was still driving, the engine seemed alright. Then the gauges started bouncing wildly as the car moved, stopping at a stop. Tried turning, found power steering had failed, had to turn it without. Doors were locking and unlocking at random as well. Three minutes later I got home, and turned the car off. Then I was unable to start, getting the rapid click and everything flashing as I turned the key.

Had a friend jump the car, and it started the first time. The odometer/info unit was unlit, and the RPM gauge was bouncing idly while parked. The battery light was also coming on and off. Turned it off, and despite leaving it hooked up to jump, would not turn back on.

My friend seems to think it's the central pc unit, but I figure you all might also be able to weigh in on this.

Thank you in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
Okay so we had it towed since we were just utterly baffled at what the issue could be.

We got same-day repairs, car is in working order now.

Turns out the culprit was a mixture of a snapped serpentine belt and a fried alternator.

Hopefully this helps anyone who experiences the same or similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.