Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loud Bang, Intake Manifold Blown Up

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  TooSlowForYou 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2010 Cobalt 2.2. Just went to start my car, and she cranked once, then there was a loud bang. I looked underneath, and found pieces of my intake manifold all over the ground. Also noticed a sensor near the oil filter cracked off. Any idea what would have caused this? Any chance the timing was off and it backfired through the intake? Debating whether it's worth fixing, or just part it out and buy another car.

Here's a few bad pictures. Sorry it's dark and a really cramped spot. https://imgur.com/a/1uGkyP5

#2 ·
WoW! I'd say something went drastically wrong. What kind of mileage?

#4 ·
You possibly broke an intake rocker or and intake valve stuck open to do that kinda carnage. Having flames come back in an intake with the perfect fuel to air ratio is never good!

#5 ·
Just got a free intake manifold off a junker car, so i'm gonna swap it over and cross my fingers it was just a freak accident. If it blows up again, I'm not really out any money, and at least then I know there's a real problem, rather than throwing money at it when I don't have too.

#6 ·
Maybe take a look under the valve cover first to make sure you don't have a broken rocker.

#7 ·
Yeah I'll go have a look at that today, fingers crossed nothing is broken. Manifold off the other car wouldn't fit. It was from an 06. Throttle body holes were completely different, and the brake booster line was on the wrong side. Not to mention the manifold was physically bigger than the stock LAP manifold, and was hitting the block. Checking a few more scrap yards today before I bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.