Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weird Smell

15K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Allgood Customs 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 cobalt sport 2.4l, a couple days ago after driving home from work i get out of my car and go to the trunk of my car the exhaust smelt like rotten eggs. any suggestions on why it smells. i put in 93 gas and i have a SLP exhaust installed on my car.

#2 ·
sounds like a clogged cat. if you run 93 too much supposedly the engine doesnt burn all the fuel and it can clog up you catalytic converter and thus the rotten egg smell. this is only what i've heard but idk how certain it is. run some regular for a few tanks and see if that helps any

#3 ·
any chance you have mold? water get in the trunk? Aside from the obvious, are you sure you didn't leave groceries back there...lol, mold is the only thing I could think of.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

I would never have thought! Interesting.

#6 ·
sounds like a clogged cat. if you run 93 too much supposedly the engine doesnt burn all the fuel and it can clog up you catalytic converter and thus the rotten egg smell. this is only what i've heard but idk how certain it is. run some regular for a few tanks and see if that helps any
Unless I'm really off, don't Le5's need to run 93? I remember CC08 err I mean the retard once telling me they are high compression and need premium. I would also speculate that its a clogged cat though.

#13 ·
HIgher the octane the better and cleaner burn, so not as much left over garbage to clog the cats. That is why when you run race gas, the race gas will clean out all the systems, from the potency of the fuel(fuel lines) and the heat of the exhaust to clean out the exhaust. I usually, when I go hoem to visit my parents go to the local race car shop and get half tank of race gas to mix with half tank of normal gas to clean out the sytem.
i use a full tank on my motorcycle to clean it out. And no problems yet, been doint that routine for years.

#20 ·
lol i've looked this problem up on All Data, it was in a technical service bulletin. Changing the cat will not make a difference. I have only 11,000miles on my 2.2 and it does the same thing and had done it previously even before 10k miles. It is just do to the amount of sulfur and makeup of the gasoline you use. I notice on 87 octane is gets really bad off and on randomly. When I filled up with 91, then I didn't smell anything unless on a long highway trip. But 91 makes it rev up/get up slower, so I might try 89.

#22 ·
Have your battery checked, I have a 2006 LS and I had the same rotten egg smell and it turned out to be the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.